1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

line knife vs mini chef

Discussion in 'Harner Knives' started by butch, Jul 20, 2014.

1. butch

butch Founding Member

was asked about the differences elsware
    in a nut shell the line knives are a bit shorter heel hight and will be hollowed out with the 4' platen
    the mini chef wil be mostly ful flat ground with light convexing near the edge. you can request a different grind if you let lefty know what you are after (both to make a more robust line knife or a more laser mini) jsut let him know

2. butch

butch Founding Member

oo and there is the diferance in blade length line knives being longer then mini chef

3. Lefty

Lefty Founding Member

Thanks, Butch.

Oh, but both are amazing. Trust me....

4. I don't understand the above.

5. butch

butch Founding Member

i have a platen that has an arc in it of 4 feet dia. much liek the large wheels used over seas for single bevels. it makes for a ultra thin grind behind the edge but a nice stiff spine

6. XooMG

XooMG Founding Member

Really looking forward to seeing these. Will you be doing any WIP or batch photos? Sent you a msg Butch to verify stuff too.

7. Butch,
    How did the wedding go?

8. butch

butch Founding Member

nearly flawless it was all good and really made the timeing work better mano .

as for WIP i can try and get a few pics as i go

9. Great to hear.

10. butch

butch Founding Member

building WIP with a few pictutes but low an behold i ran out og HT foil. wil not be havin g any bach in stock till late next week . im going to get as many blades as in can out of what i got in house

11. XooMG

XooMG Founding Member

Can't wait to see the progress. Hope your eye is doing OK, btw.

12. butch

butch Founding Member

eye doig much better. last night while wrappingmore blades for heat treat found out my roll of foil is empty so its reorder time (i order SS foil 20"x100' ) you can use that stuff up faster then you think

13. butch

butch Founding Member

local tool and die shop tossed me a bone and let me buy 6 feet of foil but that still didnt cover all the knives i had ready for HT. it did i think get all the line and mini chefs in the kiln (4 batches heat treated since last night ) all blades are in LN right now and in the morning i will start tempering. i hope to get a few of the progress pics loaded tonight

14. XooMG

XooMG Founding Member

Sweet. How many do you do in a batch?

15. butch

butch Founding Member

ok from sheet to cryo so far so good but like i said i ran out of foil so the rest of the blades will have to wait till next week at best

Attached Files:

16. butch

butch Founding Member

normaly no more then about 10 but with parers i can get 2 knives in each foil pack

17. Nice progress Butch!
    If I'm lucky one of those would travel my way later :)

18. Lefty

Lefty Founding Member

These are all spoken for, pending payment, but we have hopes of doing more. :)

Thanks for posting the pics Butch. I can't seem to get my photobucket account to load up.

19. butch

butch Founding Member

lefty next i ll have to have a folder on my site for you to load your pics to for ease of posting. i have a few more pics but they are on my phone and not all that great. all the frosty blades in the picture above are in the kiln at 400f for the next 2 hours. i will be pulling them all out and letting them get to room temp then back in the kiln at 400 for another 2 hours. next week when i get back from a bit of time off i l be grinding full speed ahead.

20. XooMG

XooMG Founding Member

Sweet, thanks for sharing so far. I think I saw my name there, maybe. :D