1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Limpet's knives

Discussion in 'Knife & Gear Galleries' started by limpet, Sep 22, 2014.

1. I took some photos of my current collection. Beg your pardon for lousy light in the pictures. Also, my compact camera tends to "fisheye" angled photos somewhat, distorting them a bit.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BxEKq9uJ-aX7bXpsN01aWVNsNlk&usp=sharing

On the knife block, from left to right
    • Shigefusa Santoku 165
    • Akifusa Hakata 170 AS
    • Shiro Kamo Nakiri 165 A#2
    • Shiro Kamo Kamagata Usuba 165 A#2 (double bevel)

On the small mag bar, from left to right
    • Akifusa Petty 120 AS
    • Ikeda Migaki Petty 90 W#2
    • Victorinox Petty 120 Stainless
    • K-Sabatier Petty 80 Stainless

Picked out from the knife block, put on the board, from top to bottom
    • Shiro Kamo Gyuto 210 A#2
    • Akifusa Gyuto 210 AS
    • Goko Petty 150 W#1
    • Shiro Kamo Petty 140 A#2
    • Akifusa Petty 160 AS

Cupboard, top shelf, from left to right
    • Shiro Kamo Gyuto 240 A#2 (kurouchi)
    • Shiro Kamo Gyuto 240 A#2 (damascus)
    • Goko Gyuto 240 W#1
    • Goko Santoku 165 W#1
    • Akifusa Nakiri 170 AS
    • Akifusa Gyuto 180 AS
    • Goko Nakiri 165 W#1

Cupboard, bottom shelf, from left to right
    • Akifusa Kiritsuke Gyuto 240 AS
    • Masakage Shimo Gyuto 240 W#2
    • Itinomonn Gyuto 240 V2
    • Yoshiaki Fujiwara Workhorse (Kato) Gyuto 240
    • Moritaka Kiritsuke 240 AS (double bevel)
    • Itinomonn Butcher 170 White Steel
    • Shigefusa Suji 220
    • Moritaka Suji 240 AS
    • Shiro Kamo Suji 270 A#2

2. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

3. My favorite knife type is the gyuto 240, since they are good for most things and I like how they come in different sizes and shapes/profiles. And my favorite gyuto right now is the Masakage Shimo. It feels "right" somehow and very nimble. :)

4. turbo

turbo Founding Member

Nice collection. Love to see people's stuff. Thanks for sharing

5. Ok, so here's an update on my knives. I keep telling myself to stop buying new ones, but apparantly I don't listen... [​IMG]

Here are some pictures. I beg your pardon for the poor light making many details on the blades disappear. [​IMG]
    https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BxEKq9uJ-aX7SllXSFc4M0Vwcms&usp=sharing

Many of these knives will soon be oiled and put back into their boxes. I don't have room for all of them in my kitchen so I will start to rotate them each month. They all deserve to be used.

6. Toothpick

7. How about rotating your knives around the world and sending some of them to me? :)
    BTW, where did you get Wakui 80mm petty? Is it stainless cladded?

8. :)
    When I said they all deserve to be used, what I really meant was: they all deserve to be used by me! :D

I bought the Wakui petty from a knife shop in Stockholm, Sweden. It's white #2 with stainless cladding.

http://www.cleancut.se/butik/knivserier/wakui/skalkniv2014-09-30-14-23-09-detail

Although it says the blade is 80 mm, my petty is actually at least 85 mm edge length and more than 95 mm blade length.

9. Niiiiiiiiiiiiice!
    Love those Katos.

10. The knife collection continues to grow. I should probably stop buying new knives and spend the rest of the year cooking and sharpening with what I already got. Well... let's see what happens... :)

A kitchen cabinet full of gyutos plus one big nakiri.
    kb_01.jpg

A bookshelf with some sujis and medium sized knives. My sharpening stones are visible a couple of shelves down.
    kb_06.jpg

More pictures including knife labels here: https://drive.google.com/folderview...R5TEd6OERkWEpLLTc4NzNJT0IzWFJjaTg&usp=sharing

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
  11. Toothpick