1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Lets talk your size

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by bieniek, Dec 2, 2014.

1. Chuckles

Chuckles Founding Member

I take back some what I said. I ended up using a 240 for dinner. I guess I had to get my fix. Big knives are fun and I am an addict.

2. butch

butch Founding Member

neighbor got her mini van nearly sidways in her 2 car garage. had to austin powers 1000 point turn that thing to get it out (then had to fix the door on the garage since she backed into it and didnt want her hubby to know about it) i told her if he gave her any crap about it to remind him i had to fix his mower for him when he didnt know all the smoke from under it was a tossed PTO belt. i think i could open up a handy man van and fix things

3. XooMG

XooMG Founding Member

I'm focusing mostly on sub-200mm knives, but I have some 210s and will probably pick up a 240mm sometime.

If I got rid of everything except a 135mm funayuki or 150mm petty, I'd be just fine. 165-195 is more fun and seems optimal for my kitchen space.

4. I really enjoy everything from a 150 Petty up to a 240 Gyuto. Don't really use a paring knife other than to cut plastic containers.

I find there is a sense of satisfaction to be gained from both gaining control over a longer blade, and wielding a short, sharp blade like a mini light sabre.

Practically, I think 165 to 210 is a sweet spot for most home users. Add a 150 Petty and a 220 Suji, and you're set for basically everything. I can see how a 270 might be fun and/or useful in a home setting, but it's not a necessity in the same way something in the 180 to 210 range might be.

Most of all, our indulgence in knives is meant to add to the experience of feeding ourselves (and others), so whatever feels good to you is worth having and using.

Cheers,

J

5. marc4pt0

marc4pt0 Founding Member

I find 270mm or more on gyutos to be a bit much for me. But, I will certainly be buying one and using it at home right around the same time my daughter is old enough to start dating. I picture the conversation going something like this, while I'm chopping a bunch of onions at a steady click:

Daughter- "dad, meet______"
    Me- (silence except for big knife chopping sound)
    Boy- "um, nice meeting you sir"
    Me-
    Boy- "um, you making dinner sir?"
    Me- "no"
    Boy- "oh. Um, that's a really big knife"
    Me- "yup" and then pausing to offer new boy the most crazy 'touch her and I'll Kill you' stare.

6. Taylor

Taylor Professional Craftsman Founding Member

I tend to think if I have a daughter that instead of chopping, I'd be sharpening the knives when he got there. Then I could mention something like they were sharp enough to castrate a gnat. You're not a gnat are you?

7. WildBoar

WildBoar Founding Member Contributor

15 years from now when Luca is hitting on your daughter he'll probably find this thread and know you are full of .... :cool:

I made a couple spinach lasagnas last night for an party tomorrow. I had to dice 10 large shallots, mince a bunch of garlic, etc. The DT ATK 240 gyuto (52100) was the perfect tool for the shallots, and was a joy to use on them. The garlic got prepped initially with a stout 150 petty (ends cut off, skins removed), then when I decided to mince instead of press the 240 once again shouldered the burden.

8. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

My dad used to time it so that he was sharpening his hunting knife when dates arrived at our house. It's only about 165mm. Teenage boys were adequately terrified.

270mm would probably require a change of pants.

9. XooMG

XooMG Founding Member

[​IMG]
    The carrot's diameter was 92mm. 180mm handled it OK, though there were definitely a few moments when I thought a 210-240 would make things a bit simpler.

10. Vangelis

Vangelis Founding Member

Oh well, my knives are for decorative purposes only as we eat only healthy Mc.something :) As for scaring the futur dates of my daughter (if I have one) I will be buying a long yanagiba, minimum 36cm :j

otherwise... I am a home cook and an amateur of 24cm guytos - even if I have only 1 carrot to prepare. It just feels better. I have tried 18 and 21cm guytos but isn't for me. A parer and a guyto is what I need for preparing the dinner. Then other toys are used for special purposes (honesuki, yanagibas, suji, aijikiri - debating if I need a deba).

What I don't really like using are the pettys, too short or too long (12cm and 15cm) for the tasks i want them, the ideal size would have been almost 17-18cm. I am regularly using my 21cm learn-how-to-sharpen-yanagiba for prep sandwiches and for brunch.

V

11. apathetic

apathetic Founding Member

No you need a maguro kiri to scare your future dates, 690mm sounds good :D

12. when I'll have a son, I'll make sure he could tell the difference between a kitchen knife a real katana… so he would tell you to lower the angle while sharpening that knife :)

13. apathetic

apathetic Founding Member

Why stop at being able to tell the difference? I will be actually expecting him to make me a katana and teach me how to polish it and sharpen it :D

14. At work i use 230 - 240mm gyutos (Tojiro DP, Hiromoto AS, Eden Kanso Aogami) and a sh*tty little petty (£4, whatever brand). (Sometimes i bring my yanagiba or nakiri in, but that doesn't happen too often.)
    I use the same 240 Tojiro DP gyuto at home as well, but considering a smaller blue steel funayuki.
    Cooking at someone elses place? What?! It's either i'm cooking at home for my guests or i'm going to someone elses and be a guest. Don't mash these 2 together. (Unless you bring a few nice steaks as a present to cook, but still no need for super-duper knives for that. And a quick salad could be made even with a steak knife.)

15. Entering this discussion kinda late sorry!

This is a topic that comes up a lot! Everyone has their opinions and no one ever really changes their mind much from either side.
    I think we should all agree that it's not about what we need... No one really needs any particular sized knife to cut anything. It's about what we like. Some like bigger knives some like smaller knives some appreciate both... Full stop!

As for me I've tried to keep an open mind and have tried gyutos ranging from 180 -270. After alot of trial and error I can't imagine ever using anything less than a 240 and I wouldn't like not having a 270 at work.

It's not about the size it's not about macho bs it's about the larger flat spot, greater weight and height at the heel. A heavier taller knife cuts food like there's nothing there (with a soft grip). A smaller lighter knife I find needs more effort to cut through things. It just doesn't feel right for me.
    At least I can say I've given all standard sizes a decent unbiased go and now reside happily in the bigger is better (for me anyway) camp .

16. I find all this both sad and funny at the same time. Should you have expensive knives if you don't have excellent knife skills? Should you have any knife over a 180 if the 180 will do everything you cook.

What a boring world of we all subscribed to your minimalist suggestions.

I have a variety of knives that see very little use. I have three different nikiri and have actually pulled all 3 out to do one meal prep.

It's fun to me. I also like the quality and aesthetic qualities of my knives.

And I have a nice new shiny 270 kagekiyo to play with :). I think I will go try it on a spring onion...

17. Mrmnms

Mrmnms Founding Member Gold Contributor

I'd like to buy you a beer! Good luck with the onion.

18. I think "need" for most on these forums has long ago lost its meaning! I used to prepare tasty meals with silver colored things from ikea.

19. Hey! Ikea stuff is great for the money! In fact, after recent devaluation of our national currency, the knives from Ikea are the knives that I would recommend to my friends (I used to recommend Fujiwara FKM, but they are about 10-x times more expensive then ikea knives now)

20. Not 10 year old, folded dinged edge, never sharpened, worn rubber handle ones.... I kept it for a laugh, just pulled it out, and couldn't even cut my palm!