1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Lets talk your size

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by bieniek, Dec 2, 2014.

1. butch

butch Founding Member

parking a bus in a small garage is tricky. sometimes you have to pull in and out a few times to get it just right

2. Taylor

Taylor Professional Craftsman Founding Member

I usually use 8 different knives to cut one tomato, and we're not even talking about the onions yet. Size is irrelevant, as long as I can get through the task without throwing a tantrum, or pouting.

3. pleue

pleue Founding Member

270 is overkill for home use so the sensible thing to do would be to buy another $200+ knife for home on your linecook salary instead of a larger cutting board. I Also have home sized onions and such instead of the larger professional onions I have at work so it's ideal to have a shorter knife.

Get off it, I like 270's, I use them at work, I use them at home.

A better argument might be that it's ridiculous to discuss edge retention and stiction between $500+ knives when you're chopping an onion at a time at home... But if it makes you happy in either case who cares?

4. butch

butch Founding Member

wherer is my like button for posts lie his

5. bieniek

bieniek Founding Member

Thats because, like me, you are not listening to what women are saying :p:k

I never said you could not use it. But

+1. Can we agree that at home you dont need that long blade? Now, why to advice on buying such a length for a amateur, new user and for a first j-knife? Out of touch? I used 27 at home when I had one, no one says youre mistaken if that is indeed your educated preference[like youve tried tons of different knives and the best for you is the 27] .

I've met that small green fella with somewhat big ears once and he gave me that special green laser while mumbling something about force.
    Chops chives together with the board and some walls, if it stand in the way

:BF

6. bieniek

bieniek Founding Member

Yeah Anton spot on paper cutting with a kitchen knife lol
    How many times a week youre having paper for dinner? I try to eat that at least 2 times a week since its a great source of cellulose and that is like the most important protein ever.

7. apicius9

apicius9 Founding Member

So you don't have a 400mm melon knife? How do you survive the summer?

That one made me laugh out loud - not easy after a crappy day at work ;)

I sold my 225 Carter for the money and now I miss it, waiting for a 225 from Marko to come in. That and my 195ish Carter funayuki will probably shoulder most of the work with an occasional use of the 185ish 'nakiri' from Butch and some kind of slicer - my current favorite actually a cheapish 270 single bevel knife.

I always thought I should use a 270 to be one of the big boys, but in most cases it is just too much for me. I do keep around a 270 'mighty' Watanabe gyuto, but that also serves as defense against zombies.

Stefan

8. zwiefel

zwiefel Rest in peace brother

I suppose my being divorced is more evidence of that!

Does one really need a 270 for anything, ever? couldn't one do everything with a 4" paring knife?

I don't really understand the purpose of this discussion.

9. Pfft....just regular unicorn fat??

My unicorn fat comes from Kobe unicorns, hand fed Spanish bellota and massaged by Tibetan monks.

10. zwiefel

If the Tibetan monks aren't doing Swedish massage, then you're getting ripped off.

11. You know… with our country economy I might end up eating just the paper for dinner pretty soon.
    So, please if you have any papers that you've already read — send them to my address so I could feed my family. And we could even have and envelope as a desert! Mmmm

12. cheflarge

cheflarge Founding Member

This is 100 percent not meant to offend anyone, but: Who cooks at home? :) I use everything from a 300mm gyuto to a 120mm ajikiri at work and pretty much everything in between. Not sure why this is such a big deal? Some day's I like the gigantic beast for workhorse duties and others I like the ajikiri for removing the cap from briskets. To each his own, isn't that the way it should be?

13. Chuckles

Chuckles Founding Member

image.jpg image.jpg
    Do you need a 270? I saw this thread on the way to work today at 3:30 AM. My foggy half caffeinated brain thought: 'let's see'. So in an extremely high volume prep kitchen I brought just a 180 gyuto. I was fine. I think even for high volume prep you are limited in how much product you can cut by what you can control effectively with your left (non knife) hand. I didn't feel any slower but did daydream about my new Martell sitting at home feeling neglected.

I don't really use big knives at home but I am not as ambitious as most of the home cooks here. If I had a nice big baller cutting board I would bring out the big guns much more often.

14. I use all different sizes at work and at home. Sometimes it's just what's at hand other times I conciously select one.

15. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

Even if that bus is a minivan...;)

16. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

I only cook at home, and my knives range in length from about 65cm to 270+. A drawer full of knives is like a closet full of clothes--pick one based on the activity and your mood. As long as it doesn't make your butt look big.

17. zwiefel

Unless you like that sort of thing.

18. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

This is what I like in a big butt. No knives required.

Butt3.jpg

Butt4.jpg

19. I do. I cook at home every day. My wife and I text or call each other every day about who is picking up what for the dinner hour. Dinner is always home made. Every night there are roles....currently my 8 year old sets the table;' my 10 year old clears the dishes after dinner.

20. Spaz

Spaz Founding Member

Have a full size car but a two and half car garage. :fp