1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Lets talk your size

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by bieniek, Dec 2, 2014.

1. bieniek

bieniek Founding Member

Thats not what she said.

Got a flashback about the silly discussion thatve happened on the other KKF some time ago. One newb wanted advice on buying 21cm versus 24cm chefs knife.
    Some rabbits started to pop up outta hat to say he needs 27 cms minimum, especially at home...
    My answer was:

"At home I use 390mm santoku that is 70mm tall. My board is 40x40cm so the edge length is perfect for me cause I can slice an onion, a sandwich and a tomato all in one clean swipe.
    Sometimes while at home on my day off, I make parties for up to 100 people so the extra length helps when I have to cut through that 200KG potatoes or onions, sometimes I just do a small meal for my family of 50 then I just take out my 330mm petty.

At work I used to use Sandokans sword something like that:

[​IMG]

But now its waaaaaay to small, so I just bought small katana one meter of usable edge. This way I can slice onions and stab someone as far as 2 metres away! How good is that?

Im thinking what Im going to get next cause tuna sword I bought is not enough for me to slice sashimi, just a tad too short."

Yeah that is what I continue to think about it: someone who say that he needs 27 centimetrs of edge at home, is full of ****.

Have a good night

2. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

I don't NEED 27 centimeters, but it's nice to have one available for splitting watermelons or gigantic cabbages. Plus I can trim my toenails without bending over. My 180s get MUCH more use.

3. You are using your knives at home for cutting?! Damn… stop that immediately!

Hang them on magnetic strip. But first polish them. No, not with that miserable polishing compound, use the real JNAT dammit. And then use 5 more JNATs! You wife don't really need a car, so you can sell it and get moar JNATS! And a bigger magnetic strip for a really manly knives. And don't you ever dare to cut anything but paper of hair with your knives… CAUSE YOU'LL DAMAGE THE EDGE dammit. Just keep them on the rack. Still and quite. Resharpen as soon as somebody came to your place. Guest have to see your stones.

4. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

You will need an appropriately sized cutting board that will pamper the edge of your knife. A Louis XIV writing desk is ideal. Proper care is important, tho--you must wash the desk with virgin's tears and polish it gently with unicorn fat.

5. butch

butch Founding Member

my chef is 265mm and my suji is 330

6. zwiefel

zwiefel Rest in peace brother

Dammit...I've been doing it backwards.

7. WildBoar

WildBoar Founding Member Contributor

Glad to hear you have decided anyone who likes 270s at home is mistaken. No sense in personal preferences, etc. affecting one's decision. Best to decree anyone no one should use anything longer than a 210(?) 180(?) even if it works better for them. :rolleyes

8. MattS

MattS Founding Member

I dont mind a 270, but really prefer sub 240 for home use. I have a 220mm that seems to fit the bill nice between moving to different boards.

I have seen a 330 mm watermelon slicer that just looked like a good time to pull out in the middle of summer.

9. Brad Gibson

Brad Gibson Founding Member

210 gyuto, 270 suji. most generic and most used sizes for a reason.

10. butch

butch Founding Member

i miss my 240 nakiri for canning food

11. I use a 280 at home and I'm not full of anything.

12. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

I have a a 150 petty, 180 and 210 gyuto. They work for me. I am an amateur though.:kWhen I was looking I got recommendations for bigger, but I took it as in the spirit of help. Some good natured joshing. All good.

13. Spaz

Spaz Founding Member

I've never owned a 270 gyuto and never missed a meal. Personal preference and need are two completely different things.

14. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

I own one 240 the rest are all 270's+ unless slicing protein, I rarely use the entire lenth of the blade.. but dammit I have options! :connie

15. chefcomesback

chefcomesback Founding Member

270 at work , 170-210 mostly at home , 270 if I am making meals to last us throughout the week

16. butch

butch Founding Member

the kids liek my 180mmand it is my first grabbed blade for snacks and the like but when it comes down to big prep i get out the big board and the long blades

17. Mrmnms

Mrmnms Founding Member Gold Contributor

I'm still thinking about that splendid use for unicorn fat. Don't see too much of that lately. I am more inclined to pull out a 240 or bigger to scare the crap out of visitors than to cook with at home most if the time.

18. Wagner the Wehrwolf

Wagner the Wehrwolf Founding Member

I think girth is more important than length.

19. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

It's not the size of your ship. It's the ability to remain in port until all passengers have disembarked.

20. 240 gyuto because a wa handled 210 feels like a petty. Mostly I use a cleaver 220 x 110, I reserve my 600mm for chives mostly, that long of an edge is annoying to sharpen but I never have to because it is adamantium/diamond Damascus hrc 97 :)