1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Last couple off the bench (gyuto's)

Discussion in 'Handiwork Display' started by John N, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Hello Fora,

1st post ! - thought I would show the last couple that I have made, Ive always been into the forging side of things, but only recently started to try to put together 'finished' knives. Smallest one is 205mm cutting edge, largest is a 240 (which seems twice as long when you are making it!)

These are Hitachi blue2 steel cored san-mai. The cladding it a damascus mix of wrought iron, mild steel with a bit of 15n20 for contrast. Pretty well forged to shape, and a lot of the bevels put in under the hammer.

All feedback appreciated ! :)

[​IMG][/IMG] [​IMG][/url][/IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Cool looking knives! How reactive the cladding is in real life?

3. The cladding seems quite non reactive. The picture below is one i've been using myself for a few months (its higher layer, and got a pure ni. barrier, but the same cladding mix). My knife maintenance boarders on abuse, so please excuse the rust...... (apparently plumbers often have leaky taps)

[​IMG]

4. Love the cladding you've used.

Kind of reminds me of the watetsu cladding that aframes had on their Yoshimitsu tamahagane knives

5. I've seen these on another forum and commented already, but worth seeing again and repeating that these look great! Awesome job!

6. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

I quite like them.

7. Very nice! They look old-world.

8. Thanks for the nice words everyone !

I think I will do some 'shiny' pattern welding next time I get some forge playtime. I thought I had gone off it, but made a little parer yesterday from a bit of a failed feather 'w' billet, and remembered how satisfying it is :)

9. got back into the shiny pattern welding a bit this weekend, 15n20 & en42j , enough solid material to make a 240 Gyuto next time I get the fire lit :)

Just a rough grind and a vanity etch at this stage !

[​IMG]

10. Nuts63

Nuts63 Founding Member

I like the feather damascus

11. [​IMG] Last ones I have worked on, 2 in super blue steel, one carbon clad, one stainless - and one of my own wrought iron damascus san-mai over blue paper steel. My grinding has improved a lot on the stone wheel grinder I have just finished ! these are not sharpened, ground to about .2 mm on edge.

[​IMG]

12. Lovely profiles.

13. This is quite an interesting one I am working on, its Takefu Blue2, clad with some very manky wrought iron that was dug up on our industrial estate. Pure Ni as a barrier layer. The wrought cladding has a split near the tip (not an open split, more of a seam in it), so I thought I would try something a bit different and put a hollow grind on it. Will probably finish it up and use it as a test piece for grind and heat treat (basically abuse it until its chipped out, or over ground)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

You are killing John. I really love the profile of that middle knife it is just the way I like them.

15. MotoMike, that went 'blade only' to a chef knife guy in Sweden who had already commissioned one from me, and has just been handled by very talented maker. It looks sweet now, but not my pictures to post up! - That one was AO super, carbon clad.

I have been asked for that profile a couple of times since I first posted that pic! I now call it the 'K2 profile' as it was the 2nd knife that went to that chef :D from memory its 235mm x 52

16. The manky looking wrought blade in the pic of 3 above cleaned up to a nice knife in the end, its the one on the right in this pic.

[​IMG]

Ive still got the one with bog oak / sterling silver spacer handle which I forged at the same time as the 'K2' knocking about (similar profile), its the one on the left. If you are interested in it, make an offer, and I can put an edge on it and get it shipped!

[​IMG]