1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Konosuke 300mm HD2 Sujihiki

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by James, Mar 18, 2014.

1. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

So far out of the box it pops hair. There is a small lip in the wood where it meets the horn farrel but its even all the way around and is very nice. The best part about this shiny blade...

Dude!
    20140317_234708.jpg its as long as my arm... how cool is that. Unfortunately I have left overs from last night that don't need slicing so ill have to wait to give you a performance review, until then Ill just stare. Heres some stuff I noticed while staring...

2014-03-17 23.58.45.jpg
    Really thin behind the blade

2014-03-17 23.59.16.jpg
    Nice looking black buffalo horn, but shame it only has a little ghosting through it, other then that its mostly just black, but still very nice feeling black, you can also notice the gap I was talking about between wood and horn here, again I dont mind it at all

2014-03-18 00.00.31.jpg
    Nicely rounded Spine, very smooth and comfortable, the choil (is it choil ? or choile ? or somethign else ?) follows suit

2014-03-17 23.58.01.jpg
    Thin behind the edge is very easy to do when, the whole blade starts off thin to begin with. I imagine once this does meet food it will pOwn (thats what the kids say right?) anything I put it too

since this whole line seems to be thin and light, I would imagine a lot of the edges would be useful and effortless to use, Though we will have to see when it comes to durability and maintenance going forward, my next meal ill be sure to pick up a hunk of meat to get some performance time in with the blade and see how it glides on through

2. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

3. Spaz

Spaz Founding Member

Oh Jimmy boy, that is one sweet piece of steel! I've had one for about 2yrs but mine is in white steel. The HD should take a killer edge and hold it well. Yous being semi-stainless won't patina like mine. I had a knifegasm the first time I used mine! The HD

[​IMG]

4. cclin

cclin Founding Member

Congratulations James, enjoy it!!

5. Bill Farrell

Bill Farrell Founding Member

Sweet knife. If I could only buy knives from one knifemaker for the rest of my life, it would be Konosuke.

6. James

Im really happy with this one so far, with all I read I believe ill be even happier the first slice I take with it... truly amazing to me

7. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Very nice James.
    How many is that now?:cool1

8. James

3 on hand, still waiting on my "first" knife from Daves B&B group buy,... that one im the most excited for. when I get that it will give me a 240 gyuto, a 120 petty, the 165 nakiri, and a 300 suji.

9. Spaz

Spaz Founding Member

Very good start!

10. Jeffery Hunter

Jeffery Hunter Founding Member

That is a great addition to the set you STARTED, you know there is a bunch of enablers here on the fora

11. James

Lol I do It to myself... then I turn on everyone after

12. James

So I FINALLY, got to put this one to use tonight, it was an herb crusted pork roast, and man was it nice to use. I bought the whole 300mm but I only needed the edge,.. well about 200mm of it for this sized roast anyway. Just sliced right through, I just kept taking it thinner and thinner, I can see this being a great leftover sandwich knife since I can shave off some super thin slices, but still I think will a good sharpening I could make it even better.

Super happy with how this felt in the hand, and how it performed, Absolutely love this knife

13. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

14. Spaz

Spaz Founding Member

And it only gets better!

15. James

Really ?, cool, how ?

16. Spaz

Spaz Founding Member

Once you get a really nice edge on it, carving hams and loins melt like butter under the edge, and the paper thin slices you be making. It's just a crazy fun knife to break out in front of company, Enjoy!

17. James

Well,... I dont think anyone I know will be worthy of actually seeing it. They may want to touch it after that, but Ill tell them about it and show them pictures

not that ive got a feel for all my knives Ill really be able to get a feel for what Dave Martell does when I get the Hiromoto from him,... after that it will be time to catch my other three knives up to that one. the plus side is all three of my knives come with a first time free sharpening, but two of them would be by mail order and I dont know what kind of work the people do. but of all my knives I would be most excited about how scary this blade could get being so thin

18. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

James, buy some inexpensive knives and practice sharpening on then.

Glad you like your suji!

19. XooMG

XooMG Founding Member

I've never been able to justify a longer knife, but I was really tempted by a 300mm sujihiki recently. Sadly, the only thing I could think to use it for normally would be bread, so I passed it up.

20. James

im not sure i needed a 300 either bu I would have hated buying a 240 then find out later i had use. this is light enough the longer length isnt a problem anyway so i went with it so its there if i need it