1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Knives you regret selling!!???

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by Mario Ingoglia, Nov 25, 2016.

1. Back when I collected I purchased and sold a "few" blades.....I only regret selling one....A one off Shigi. 002.JPG

2. Rick

Rick aka Pensacola Tiger Founding Member Gold Contributor

I remember when you put that up for sale. Double-beveled, if I remember correctly. I came very, very close to buying it.

My own list would have to include one by Mike Davis:

[​IMG]

3. XooMG

XooMG Founding Member

I might regret selling a kochi and a shigefusa. Otherwise, I consider every sale and return to have been an overall good.

4. I regret selling a Shibata Kotetsu 21cm to my brother:
    1. he never paid me, and since it is my brother, I will never ask him for money.
    2. it is a fantastic knife.

I missed it so much that I bought it new again in 24cm version.

Now I see it this way: I offered a very nice knife to my brother.

5. Chuckles

Chuckles Founding Member

I've used that Shig and that Mike Davis and I regret giving them back to their owners. :)

I regret selling the Rader mid tech I had. I'd love to get my hands on one of those again someday.

image.jpeg

6. Huw

Huw Founding Member

I regret selling almost every knife I have sold! I wish I could have kept them all. But for the sake of specifics
    250mm Devin Thomas San Mai Gyuto
    240mm Bill Burke Gyuto
    240 mm Kato Kikuryu Gyuto

7. marc4pt0

marc4pt0 Founding Member

I regret not buying that mid-tech Rader when you sold it. I came so dang close to!

8. marc4pt0

marc4pt0 Founding Member

But other than picking up smoking when I was a kid, I like to think I have no regrets...

But I would Love to have these 2 knives back:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. WildBoar

WildBoar Founding Member Contributor

What is this "sell knives" of which you speak?

BTW, reach out to Del and talk to him about getting a replacement.

10. Lefty

Lefty Founding Member

For me, it's a list of three, off the top of my head.

One buy you, Mario (Rick got it)
    One by Pierre (Rick got it and I now have it again...and need to trade him for it...and email my good friend....)
    One by Butch. It was an insane cutting nakiri with copper and love...lots of love. Sigh.

11. turbo

turbo Founding Member

IMG_5252.jpg IMG_5250.jpg IMG_5251.jpg Definitely #1 - 240 western Kato gyuto
    #2- 270 gyuto by Mario
    #3 - 240 Rader gyuto

12. Rick

Rick aka Pensacola Tiger Founding Member Gold Contributor

You mean this one by Pierre?

IMG_1007_zpsc3e6633d.jpg

13. apicius9

apicius9 Founding Member

7.5 sun Carter IP gyuto
    9.5 sun Carter SFGZ suji

Both sold under value when I was broke :(

Stefan

14. Y'all are killing me... better to have love and lost... :k

15. That Ealy is what made me get mine. You really need to fet him to make you another.

16. WildBoar

WildBoar Founding Member Contributor

I have one knife in my block right now that I have barely used this past year due to the seller getting back to me with regrets over selling it. I'm keeping it safe/ sound until he can fund the repurchase.

And another one has been back in the hands of the seller for the last few months while he decides if he wants to buy it back.

No names are being used here, to protect the guilty :)

Up to this point I have yet to sell any knives, but I am finally thinking about selling a gyuto or two, and a suji. Picking which ones are the hard part. Four 270-300 mm carbon sujis is more then enough for a home cook, but since they are all from 'makers' it is definitely difficult picking what should go.

17. butch

butch Founding Member

had a 3x8 "nakiri" wass fantastic then prepping food for canning but some one waved a bunch of $ at me and away it went. i have a replacement on the bench but not sure how long it might take me to get it finished

18. Antonio

Antonio Founding Member

List is long but, I think I regret selling a couple of shigs most only because the prices have gone bunkers and won't pay that much for them now.

Sold a Burke and then had to chase the guy I sold it too in order to get it back, so I got it back...

1/3 of the ones in this page, but specially:

DT San mai
    A 180- Carter KU from his day in Japan
    Takeda cleaver
    Marko 250, it was dialed in to perfection

and this Harner to @marc4pt0 specially because he didn't sell me that ONE Mario to me which I'm pretty sure is the Mario @Lefty is referring to...!

The only silver lining is that I used the money to buy my amazing wife a nice ring and a honeymoon.

Attached Files:

19. Antonio

Antonio Founding Member

For all the knives you have sold, some to me actually. I didn't expect that you'll regret giving up Mike's the most. Just curious was it associated to the true value of the knife?

20. Antonio

Antonio Founding Member

these were some of the best value knives made. Always wanted one.