1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Knife Storage

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by Andrew, Feb 23, 2014.

1. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

As I look at the magnetic holders, I see plenty of knives I believe to be stainless. So there must be enough ferrous metal in them to stick. But does the magnetic holder really grip the stainless knives securely? I know that with stainless razors, magnets grip is somewhat tenuous. I'm looking to get them up where I can get them more easily as the blocks on the counter are under cupboards and not super convenient.

2. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

Shouldn't be an issue. You can always put them handle up, they don't seem to fall/slide as much since the weight it above the center of gravity or closer to the magnet.

3. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

thanks
    John

4. neelesh

neelesh Founding Member

that is exactly what i do. yes the room is dedicated to knife storage. Am still building the collection so maybe it will be a bit more complete in a couple of years. feels very good to be surrounded by so many hours of hard work

5. Jeffery Hunter

Jeffery Hunter Founding Member

[​IMG] Had some time so I made myself a new Magnet rack. A little finish work to do but looking ok I think

6. One of my two closets with magnetic strips:
    [​IMG]

7. Huw

Huw Founding Member

Awesome collection! Are the florentine knives on the top right mag bar? How do they perform? That's a few KD's too.
    Good to see there's still plenty of room for more

8. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

9. MattS

MattS Founding Member

Holy crap, you guys must spend hours deciding which one to use.

Not that its a bad thing.....

Wow.

10. chefcomesback

chefcomesback Founding Member

Holy crap+1

11. I still haven't used them but I intend to :)
    The first florentine is a chef knife 200mm (7.87'') and the second - a challah knife (similat to bread knife), 235mm (9.25'').
    I think Tomer Botner (Florentine Knives) still have a few knives available from his last batch.

12. Neelesh that's just sick.... amazing design all over brother.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Neelesh, those pictures.....breathtaking. My husband, who is not a knife guy, was even blown away! Beautiful beautiful beautiful!!

14. neelesh

neelesh Founding Member

haha, thanks, you know what it is like when you get passionate about something....only thing is i am running out of wall space, have to move to other parts of the house now at 17 May 2014.JPG

15. Yikes. A lot of amazing pictures in this thread. :)

Myself, I live in a small appartment with not much room for knives, but I managed to create a little knife corner in my cheap, puny IKEA-kitchen with cupboards all over the place. ;)

Storage_03.jpg

More pictures available here:
    https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BxEKq9uJ-aX7b0Z1Z0h4cDd4SUU&usp=sharing

The last picture in the link shows a little magnetic holder I put up to hold my paring knives. I like my paring knives cheap (well, compared to my j-knives) and stainless, since I often just want to grab them, do something quick and then forget about them (not having to whipe them off).
    • 2 x magnetic knife stands by Zwilling
    • 2 x knife blocks by Kyocera
    • 1 x magnetic knife block by Wood of Sweden
    • 1 x cutting board by Ugglan och Eggen
    • J-knives mainly by Goko, Akifusa (Asai) and Shiro Kamo

16. I have a question, is a wooden knife rack worth it? What benefits would it have over this one from ikea? http://m.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/art/00202084/ would the knifes really chip on something like the above? I am not sure if the wood ones are worth the extra dollar?

17. I have two of those and can assure you that they would hold knives very securely but would also scratch your knives pretty badly. My solution was very simple: a piece of suede and a bit of CA.

Unless you can live with scratched knives or gonna wrap those metal holders into something softer, I'd advice you to pay extra for a wooden magnet rack.

18. Antonio

Antonio Founding Member

I think you are now overdue to give us more details on your collection.. Inventory or even better a gallery.
    Please

19. Here is a curly maple Magnetic board I made for my wife.

[​IMG]

20. neelesh

neelesh Founding Member

would love to one day. the trouble is I have not got around to doing it yet, leaving this to after i retire and have time. I know there are about 25 Bill Burkes for sure.