1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Knife Storage

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by Andrew, Feb 23, 2014.

1. panda

panda Founding Member

neelesh - what kind of sink bridge is that?

2. apathetic

apathetic Founding Member

Thanks for taking all these additional pics, really enjoying this :)

3. neelesh

neelesh Founding Member

a Tojiro Pro sink bridge, stainless steel, telescopes to fit almost any sink. Very stable and cleans up perfectly afterwards

4. neelesh

neelesh Founding Member

tried to make atmosphere with the knife storage area January 01, 2014 - L1001542.jpg , goes with a glass of wine and laid back jazz. or blues if i am really lonely..

Attached Files:

5. neelesh

neelesh Founding Member

pleasure, not many people in the world have similar hobbies

6. Paradox

Paradox Founding Member

neelesh - You have a wonderful kitchen there, really nice. Thanks for sharing it with us.

7. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

Your kitchen puts a lot of pro kitchens to shame...

8. gunnerjohn

gunnerjohn Founding Member

Neelesh, your pictures just opened up the door for future remodel discussions with my lovely wife. That is an amazing kitchen and the knife storage is giving me all kinds of design ideas. Thanks

9. butch

butch Founding Member

i can see more shadow box mounts shwing up on the market due to your pictures (love it )

10. MattS

MattS Founding Member

Alright, I have to ask, in the first pic, top left knife. How long is that. 400 mm yanagi?

11. neelesh

neelesh Founding Member

330mm mizuno tanrenjo honyaki

12. neelesh

neelesh Founding Member

what's not here, among others, is the collection of Bill Burkes. Separate case for the great man

13. Bill Farrell

Bill Farrell Founding Member

Somehow Neelesh's collection reminds me of a Steven Wright line:

"I have an incredible collection of sea shells---I keep them stored on beaches around the world.........."

14. gavination

gavination Founding Member

I love that this started as general knife storage and has become an obsession with neelesh's house. :lol:

That said, that's a lot of food storage! How people are you feeding?? Is the left side fridge yours and the right side accessible to the family like the knife blocks? :D It's a beautiful setup. I have a feeling everyone is saving these pictures for future inspiration. Did you have input into building the house or all remodel?

15. neelesh

neelesh Founding Member

sorry folks, did not mean to hijack the thread at all. Started with knife storage and then somehow meandered into my kitchen. I figure since knives work in the kitchen, it is acceptable to post a couple of photos.
    No, the fridges are for all to use, i just prefer to store fish and other seafood separately from the more bland food. Less cross currents that way. 7 of us in the house. Be happy to help anyone who needs help in the remodelling of their kitchens. I spent a lot of time on this one and tried to optimize ergonomics (for example, the work triangle is less than 3m, and passageways in work areas max 1m, work heights are optimized for kneading or cutting at different levels, the general counter is Corian and all blocks are maple. 4 ovens including 2 Miele ovens with wireless probes. Viking grates, 3.2yd sink, a 110k btu vertical jet wok burner etc. Lighting is ceiling-inset T8 high intensity dimmable with local work lights in main areas
    The idea was to have a kitchen which can accomodate any occassion, able to cook different cuisines. even a party for 60 without having to make excuses...

16. gavination

gavination Founding Member

Oh no, I don't think anyone minds you sharing. I apologize if that came across in my post. Just made me chuckle. I love what you've shared. I wonder if you even need your own thread "Chez Neelesh". :D

That is an amazing kitchen. I can't even imagine how much that cost. Especially in Singapore to have that much space! Nice work all around! I'll have to save this post for my own remodel someday.

17. marc4pt0

marc4pt0 Founding Member

This knife storage had me scratching my head here. Is that an entire room dedicated to knife storage? Is there a nice leather recliner in the middle, along with a nice wine fridge and a nice sound system? Or am I just injecting too much of my own fantasy into this picture?
    This would be MY room to escape within. Lock the doors, turn on some music of choice, crack open a bottle, lay back in a comfy leather recliner and just stare at all the beautiful work hanging on the walls. Maybe I would put a nice large pillow on the floor so my pup can join in the chill room.
    Did I mention proper ventilation for cigar smoking and atmosphere controls for perfect wine/knife storage?

18. Andre

Andre Founding Member

Wow. Gallery please.

19. mr drinky

mr drinky Founding Member Gold Contributor

Wow, neelesh. Jaw-drop awesome. Bravo.

With that said, back to the OP. I have one of those drawer systems and really like them. The Wusthof drawer racks suck btw, and the knives rest directly on a dowel. I hated it, and the blades (depending upon balance point and length) would tip up in the rack and rest in a very unstable position. I don't know which other brands suffer from this same thing.

I know that knife knuts don't general like bamboo, but the totally bamboo ones sit the knives better and are my favorite -- I have four of them. The one thing I would caution is to leave some space at the top of the rack in the drawer so tips don't get damaged. Try to immobilize your rack and give some room for the pointy bits (I cut wine corks to hold them in place and give a buffer). Some of the petty blades sitting on the top row and some of the 250mm and longer blades can slide forward and your tip ends up hitting the inside of the drawer. I imagine a non-skid surface would also help.

Anyhow, I'm not a saya person, and I really can't stand magnetic strips -- but that's just me. I'm sticking to my drawer system and like it.

l.

20. scotchef38

scotchef38 Founding Member

Amazing house.Thanks for the photos.