1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

KKFora Passaround?

Discussion in 'CJA Edged Art / Scorpion Forge' started by CrisAnderson27, Jul 29, 2014.

1. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

Naniwa 400, Green Brick of Joy, Takashima Koppa

2. marc4pt0

marc4pt0 Founding Member

I missed the dual taper handle? Damn the luck.
    Here's some picks I wanted to post:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

So earlier I mentioned how this knife would be the One knife I'd pack up with me on my trips to Chicago. I'd like to expand on that. This knife has a bit of a dual personality. It acts like a gyuto, and performs exceedingly well as such. Due to its profile and thinness, it also performs very well with cleaning, slicing and portioning proteins. And with Cris's crazy heat treatment, I had no fear breaking down fish with it as well. Basically it's a fancy Swiss army knife. A one-knife-does-it-all.
    This is why I would have liked to travel with it. Why travel with multiple knives when you can just pack one? (Ok, I do realise I'm saying this on a knife forum. There's obvious reasons why we'd pack More than just one knife...)

I've had a couple folks ask me what knife(s) of mine would I compare with Cris's knife, similarity-wise. I'd say the Mario I currently have is the closest in many ways. They're both very thin, and both performer better when pushed faster. Like a Ferrari I imagine (to borrow a comparison a buddy of mine here had made before).

I don't want to post a pic of the Mario here, but it's the one on the green cutting board when you scroll down a bit after hitting this link:

http://www.kitchenknifefora.com/threads/pictures-of-your-new-acquisitions.183/page-4

And if you go to the next page you'll see a very pretty red head staring back at you. (?!?!)

3. Feel free to share the Mario brother! If its the one I'm thinking of its a beauty!

I'll check out the redhead when I get home :D.

4. marc4pt0

marc4pt0 Founding Member

Alrighty then, here ya go.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. Nice pictures, beatiful knives!

Is that mario hollow ground?
    I had a borrowed mario to try out a low "gyutohiki"-style he did, sure was a nice knife.

6. marc4pt0

marc4pt0 Founding Member

The best way I can describe this grind is it's hollow ground within the convex portion, below the shinogi "line".

7. Intetesting grind for sure...and yep, that's the beauty I meant! The polish on that blade is pretty much perfect, lol.

Whenever I see a blade with that level of polish I always wonder if the maker used a buffer, lol!

8. cheflarge

cheflarge Founding Member

What ever happened to this pass around? It just seemed to die, before it ever reached me?

9. It's still going to be continued brother. I've just had too much on my plate between court, busting my butt to get to your knife order :D, my kids, and other projects lol. I'll probably send it back out less the new handle in the next few weeks (unless I can easily convert this one, but that may not happen as it's longer than my typical dual tapers) in the interest of keeping it moving forward.

10. V1P

V1P Founding Member

So, it's called a stayaround knife now.

11. cheflarge

cheflarge Founding Member

No worries, my brother, just curious. God bless, I hope things work out. :cool:

12. Haha! Funny guy.

How's your trip going?

13. marc4pt0

marc4pt0 Founding Member

14. That looks right. Mine was also cheaper...I got 10lbs for $20 shipped. I just looked and the seller I bought from is gone...but there are similar ones on eBay. Just have to make sure it's 500 mesh or finer. What knife are you looking to clean with it?

15. marc4pt0

marc4pt0 Founding Member

I used the one you provided to do a quick clean on a couple other carbons I have. Worked well.

16. Ahh, gotcha. Yep...it cleans it right up. Brasso will do the same on carbon knives, and leaves a really cool shiny grey/blue finish. Barkeeper's Friend leaves an even more greyed out finish, but still removes the existing patina. The iron oxide and 3000-5000 grit 3m buffing pads are the only way I myself know that will take a patinated mirror polished knife right back to mirror though. I'm sure there are other methods, I just don't know them.

17. Alright ladies and gentlemen!! Time to bring this back from the dead (it was never actually dead...just delayed). The passaround should be going out here in the next few weeks I hope...continuing down the list from where it left off. It will however...have another item added to the contents....of which I am not at liberty to disclose at this time. This other item is the reason for the delay...as I'm STILL waiting for materials to finish it.

Sooooooooo....there you are my friends, lol. I just realized it had been awhile since I'd updated, and a few people recently have been asking about this passaround :D.

18. Any chance I can squeeze in a spot on the passaround? Located in DC

19. WildBoar

WildBoar Founding Member Contributor

dang, we had it here last summer. If it doesn't make it back again, see about visiting marc4pt0 in Fells Point so you can check his out. Or hold out for the 2016 ECG this summer.

20. Thanks for catching that Dave...I thought I replied last night but the cold medicine kicked in before I could hit send I guess, lol. @strumke, I'm sure I can get you on the list in one spot or another as the knife still has to make its way both to Florida as well as Michigan. I may have to reorder the current list a bit to make it make more sense. As Dave mentioned though, you might still want to get ahold of Marc. The gyuto he has will be right up your alley I think :).