1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

KKFora Passaround?

Discussion in 'CJA Edged Art / Scorpion Forge' started by CrisAnderson27, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Well guys, my new 2x72 grinder should be here tomorrow. I've got three 270-280ish mm gyuto blanks out of Aldo's W2 that are ready to have the bevels forged. They're roughly 50mm on the heel as they sit. I have the ability to go out another 5mm or so with the forge work before grinding, and if left alone they'll likely lose as much as 10mm in heat treat from what they are now (it has to do with negative curvature in the quench, and the necessary adjustment of the edge profile).

So with that in mind, if one of these goes out as a passaround, what would you guys like to see in length and heel height? How many of you would be interested? I'd be comfortable dropping down to 250mm at the shortest, and I'm ok anywhere from 40-55mm on the heel. I prefer a laserish cutter...however, my lasers are very stiff from what I've been told. The blade will of course be mizu-honyaki. Handle will be Japanese. I haven't decided on which wood to use at this time (If you guys have any preferences based on my handle gallery feel free to speak up!).

To overview my post. What length/height gyuto would you prefer for a passaround, and who would like to be involved?

2. Are international in?or just US based?

3. Where are you Rami? One of these is already designated a passaround for a group in Sweden/Europe. The third one is for the top of my custom order list. Out of the next group I have a custom order 3oomm sujihiki, a custom order 150mm wa-honesuki, and depending, an open slot or two. Depending on where you are, and if there are others in your area, I'd be more than happy to work on sending something out that way.

4. WildBoar

WildBoar Founding Member Contributor

I'd be happy trying out a gyuto in the 250-255 mm length range and 50-52 mm at the heel. (Home cook)

5. Rick

Rick aka Pensacola Tiger Founding Member Gold Contributor

Same here. I'd welcome the opportunity.

6. David and Rick, of course you two are in. Also...I've never done a forum passaround, and I know there's a kind of general 'rule set' that governs who gets in and who doesn't (time as a member?), as well as other behaviors. If one of you would be so kind as to let me know via PM some of the things I should state up front, I'd be very appreciative. I'll also edit it into my original post.

Thanks guys.

7. Lefty

Lefty Founding Member

One day I'll try one out. I'm not the best guy for passarounds, at the moment, however.

8. I'd eventually like to do one just for you guys in Canada. I know there's a number of you up there, and I've wanted to get one to you specifically for a year now, lol. Just let me know when you're in a more opportune position, and we'll work something out Tom.

9. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

I'd be in for a pass around in a professional and home environment. As to length and height I don't have much preference. As long as the veggies end up cut and in the fire is all that matter to me ;)

10. Hi Chris,

I come from the land down under.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  11. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

of you ever have one make its way to the land of moose and beavers id totally be in, until then ill enjoy watching the thread with everyone having fun

12. Strange, my 'Edit' link has disappeared? I swear I've been able to edit my posts elsewhere?

Anyhow, here are the basic rules for this passaround:

1. I would prefer that you keep the knife no more than one week. If circumstances require otherwise please do not exceed two weeks.
    2. Do not sharpen unless you are competent (no slight to anyone's skill level here, but the knife shouldn't need much sharpening, and the edge as/is will be very fine). Do not thin, reprofile, etc. As I said, the knife will be rather thin on the edge to start, and should need no more than stropping or a very few light passes on a high grit stone for a good long while.
    3. I have no preference for shipping method, they're all horrible. I suppose USPS will be the most cost effective for everyone. Please insure for $750.
    4. This is a clay hardened (mizu-honyaki) W2 tool steel blade, and so will have an active hamon/hardening line. Please do not 'force' a patina (a natural patina is of course 100% acceptable). If the blade needs cleaned (W2 blackens/blues quickly, but doesn't seem to leave much discoloration on food, even initially), a simple wipe/rub down with a soft cloth (or your fingers...CAREFULLY) with hot water and Barkeeper's Friend should restore the finish to near new. A light coat of mineral oil after will guarantee no rust.
    5. My last requirement for anyone who uses this blade is to please provide me with a detailed idea (post usage) of what kinds of things you did with it, and what your thoughts, criticisms, concerns, and overall feelings were regarding pertinent aspects of the blade. Performance is my primary concern (edge retention, ease of sharpening, food separation, and stiction), with ergonomics being a very close second, and fit and finish coming in third. I understand that all aspects are critical on a professional quality knife, which I very much hold these to be. I have a number of blades out being used, and have received a great deal of positive response. That said (actually, because of that), PLEASE don't be scared to be brutal in your assessments! If you feel nothing needs changed, great! But please work to provide me at least some area for me to look towards for improvement. If every single aspect of the knife irked you...I want to know why!!
    6. I know this is a relatively new forum, and so not everyone can be an 'established' member (I myself have only been here a month or so lol). All of these passarounds are governed by a level of honor and trust...and so I am not going to put any kind of requirement on how long a member has been here. Just be aware that $750 is probably less than a plane ticket for me to come get my knife would be, and I have a really big hammer that I'm quite familiar with, that I am under no circumstance scared to use.

:)

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  13. I have a number of facebook friends/followers who have been bugging me about getting a knife down there...so it'll probably happen sooner rather than later lol.

So far I have:

David (WildBoar)
    Rick
    John Fout

14. XooMG

XooMG Founding Member

I'm probably not going to play, but I think I have dibs on one of those open custom slots. :p

15. You do lol! I keep getting your mini gyuto and Mark's honesuki mixed up on my list. They're both there though!

16. Jeffery Hunter

Jeffery Hunter Founding Member

I'm with James in that if it makes its way north of 49 I would love the chance to test one of your knives and if it stays south I will follow and look forward to the time I can. Live vicariously if you will through those whom report back on this.

17. Same here.

18. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

I would like to think I'm in good standing on other forums and want just had a pass around knife come through from CKTG, no where near the value of your customs but it was fun to use.

And lots of people here have my address from snail mail exchanges on other forums... as much as I'd love to see your hammer in person I would rather it still be in your shop. :-D

19. My thumpin' hammer!

[​IMG]

It's only 4lbs, but I can promise you it packs a serious punch :D

20. Jeffery Hunter

Jeffery Hunter Founding Member

Is that if someone messes up the passaround.....