1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Kitchen reno, what toys should I be looking for?

Discussion in 'Food and Drink' started by schanop, Mar 29, 2015.

1. schanop

schanop Founding Member

Just starting to plan a kitchen renovation and I have some solid ideas for a couple of things, and still quite open to many.

First of, most likely I would get a 22mj gas burner, at least one, and perhaps two. This is as powerful as I can get for an indoor domestic set up for wok cooking. If I get two, then that would be it for my cooktop, otherwise probably will accompany it with smaller gas burner(s), or an induction top. At the moment, I am eyeing Highland stuffs, Australian made: http://www.highland.com.au/products/cooktops/ . Do you have any recommendation on this?

Next is oven. I have used only standard convection oven + fan. From a brief research, there are other options too: steam oven, combi steam oven. Has any one experienced this in domestic setting? As far as I know, steam oven and combi steam oven are pretty standard item for commercial kitchen. I do feel like a steam oven + stand convection oven could be a good combo for home use.

I just start the process, and haven't put much thought into it. Is there anything else you would recommend?

2. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

I have no suggestions but I am looking forward to hearing and eventually seeing the progress.

3. Mrmnms

Mrmnms Founding Member Gold Contributor

At the lowest setting , my burners are not great at simmer. I would have a least one burner well suited for the task of simmer and smaller ring suited to small pots/pans. A lot depends on your style of cooking. Looks like that burner has a broad range.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  4. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

I've often wondered about those burners with the knobs up on top. seems like you'd be knocking them about with your pans. At least I think I would:rolleyes . this is a wip I look forward to following.

5. apathetic

apathetic Founding Member

I would look into maybe getting a griddle as well.

6. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

If you bake and live in a place with cold weather, having a proofing setting on your oven can make the difference in your bread rising.

7. scotchef38

scotchef38 Founding Member

Havent heard any bad things about the highland burners.
    If i had the funds i would get a 6 tray combi in my house but they need to be plumbed in and hard wired so there is additional costs over a regular stove in installation,added to that you need good extraction for the steam so although you can pick up a combi for about 7k the install is probably another 1-2k.
    Again if money was no object i would get a target top stove as they can be used for wok cooking and under bench refrigeration.

8. schanop

schanop Founding Member

Thank you Mrmnms, Motomike, apathetic, Lucretia, and Scotchef for the hints. I will keep in mind during my planning process.

I have thought of a small commercial grade stove, but not quite sure how regulations work with domestic usage as well as gas supply. Do you have some ideas, scotchef?

9. pleue

pleue Founding Member

Commercial ranges throw off a ton of heat due to the decrease in insulation usage in commercial ranges, maybe not across the board but more often than not. Thus, they need different types of clearance from combustibles which can make the install difficult residentially. I'm quite a fan of commercial convection ovens and the moffatt turboair ones are great and produced in New Zealand I believe. Get a very nice range hood if you're going to be wok cooking a lot.

10. scotchef38

Not sure but i know a man who does,i will text him and let you know - are you on mains gas?

11. schanop

schanop Founding Member

Yup, on main gas.

12. skiajl6297

skiajl6297 Founding Member

Whatever stove you get, carefully consider the vent hood. One of the best decisions I made was to raise the height of the hood (I am tallish and HATE 99% of installed range hood heights), and also ensure it is externally vented. Makes a big difference in cooking and standing at the stove. Also consider task lighting, cabinetry/storage in relation to appliances, etc. Also consider the uses of each location - e.g. if you always do your prep and cutting in one area, consider having storage for a cutting board, knives, and a trash bin so you don't have to carry your tossings halfway across the room for the bin. Also a big fan of blumotion drawer closings, (which are pretty common now) but also, the soft close doors. Was probably the best low cost addition for having kids - it drives me crazy when kiddos slam doors shut on cabinets!
    http://www.cshardware.com/kitchen-a...9700-22.html?gclid=CP73tO7v0sQCFUMV7AodxRsARA

Have fun!

13. I really like the Highland cook tops, and have been eyeing them off for my next kitchen, too. The biggest benefit for a domestic kitchen is the ability to have multiple side-by-side burners (4 or more), that are centred in the bench top, not sitting right on the front edge. Safer and more practical it seems to me.

We just installed a Siemens oven with telescoping tray runners that are brilliant. Very nice oven, too :)

Qasair range hoods are Australian made and almost unbeatable value, too.

All the best with your choices, Chanop!

14. Oh, if you are considering sinks, a bowl big enough to fit a 30cm frypan, including handle, flat in the bottom of the sink is just big enough ;)

15. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

And with sinks, a second sink just for prep since everyone in the house needs to use the kitchen sink as soon as you start cooking.

16. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

I like to be able to drop a bus tray into my sink. I never have thought it would be so helpful to be able to do that.

17. scotchef38

+1 on Qasair,ours is 15 years old and still going strong

18. schanop

schanop Founding Member

Good suggestions about the hood, thank you. Definitely I will duct it out as well as having the actual motor outside the kitchen and on the roof.

For cooktop, space-wise, and wooden floor-wise, I probably can't fit in a high power commercial unit in. So I have looked more in details about what options I could choose and I have narrowed down to a few choices, now in random order:

First is an all rounder, Highland high power top. 4 x 22mj/6kw gas burners and 3.7kw induction:
    [​IMG]

Second is also an all rounder Asko top, 2 x 19.7mj/5.5kw plus 2 x 6.5/1.9kw burners:
    [​IMG]

Third option is a two brand combo 22mj/6kw, 12.5mj/3.5kw, 6.5mj/1.9kw, and 19.7mj/5.5kw:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I could also opt for two induction hobs 1.8kw and 3.2 kw for this:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Another minimalist option I also consider is just a combo of two big burners 22mj and 19.7mj:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Asko wok burner is pretty new on the market. Original design belongs to Atag (Dutch company)/Gorenje (Slovanian parent company). Asko is also part of Gorenje group. On paper, the burner looks very interesting, the middle ring focus the flame into a small spot, but it only output about 8.5mj. Most double or tripple rings burner would only output about 2-3mj for the inner ring, the rest of the power comes from outer ring. From domestic/indoor cooking point of view, this sounds very promising as the middle of the wok is pretty much where it counts.

[​IMG]

For high power burner, we can get a wolf 24mh here, but pricing wise, it is probably quite a bit more than what I would like to pay.

So given above choices and options, would you have any more idea to chime in?

19. Mrmnms

Mrmnms Founding Member Gold Contributor

Man, I really like the idea of combining gas and induction. Gas for your wok and big pans and induction for the rest. I plan to go that route when my stoves dies. It looks like you have really nice options.

20. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

How bout a chef in a pantry?

My vision is simple....You open the pantry and there is a professional chef standing there. "How bout some deep fried shrimp?" He comes out, cooks what you ask for, then back in the pantry to await your next hunger pains.
    "Thanks, it tasted delicious. Now in you go."