1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Kitchen Acquisitions

Discussion in 'Food and Drink' started by Andy, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Rick

Rick aka Pensacola Tiger Founding Member Gold Contributor

I've used a Lodge Color enameled Dutch oven for seven years and am very pleased with it. I don't know how the pricier makes could be better. I did replace the plastic knob on the lid with a metal one from Le Creuset.

2. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

Looking good Warren! I have seen that name but don't recall anything about it.

I agree Mike, you need to pay for quality but some of the pots are just ridiculous in price. The raw materials are cheap as chips. I guess you are paying for marketing.

3. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Thanks guys, I don't feel like such a cheap skate now:k.

4. Jeffery Hunter

Jeffery Hunter Founding Member

Warren Kuhn Rikon is a pretty reliable brand for anything I have used for them. I would purchase it or a lodge over a la Creuset any day as I usually don't feel the need to spend an extra 100 on a name. Just my 2 cents. Take care of it and stick to wood utensils and it will last.

5. Thanks for the info guys, and the specific info on the Kuhn Rikon from Jeff, I was looking at the Le Crueset pots but at £100 I just couldn't see a huge difference to that and the £27 one I got. Wooden utensils all the way!!

6. WarrenB, those cast iron pots are also great to bake breads in them.
    Just a hint. :)

7. New toy - chamber vacuum sealer. Went whole hog for the oil-pump driven model.

IMG_1026.jpg

8. schanop

schanop Founding Member

Just retired my rice cooker and move to one with stainless steel bowl. A ten-cup buffalo with some bells and whistles.

[​IMG]

9. I got a(nother lol) new cutting board.

81ShN5AC2KL._SL1500_.jpg
    81SA-B9dniL._SL1500_.jpg

Tree & Co End Grain Butcher Block MODE series 12 Inch x 18 Inch x 2 Inch

I think my knives will look better on it :p!! I got it for $49 on a scratch and dent Amazon deal (it says the 'mark' is less than 1/4"x1/4")...I think it was a pretty good deal. On the Tree & CO website it's a $120 board.

In a few months I'll be trading a good friend of mine a straight razor for a 24"x18"x3" end grain board...but this should get me by until then!

Attached Files:

10. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

11. I think so too, particularly for the money!

12. how much was it cris?

13. $49 with free 2 day Prime shipping. Looks like about half off, since I can't find an exact price for an 18"x12"x2" board from them, lol.

14. all out of stock CRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP

15. Yep!! I bought the last one lol.

From all I've read...the Tree & CO blocks are nice enough...and I just need something to get me by until I get my new board in a few months. My last end grain board split (long story), and the thinner edge grain I've been using in the mean time is starting to bow in the center. I figured for $50 I couldn't lose...and picked it up!

16. if you don't mind me asking what are you waiting on?

17. Not at all! A friend is a woodworker and makes some GORGEOUS blocks. He's out of a shop temporarily though...so when he gets back to one we're going to do a swap. He wants a straight razor, I want a 18"x24"x3" board :D.

18. 307868_553240167224_352456700_n.jpg 548209_607590768184_64229339_n.jpg 10256953_765111969434_7863781431188698457_n.jpg

Some of his boards before finishing. I can't find any of the finished pictures I had.

19. That first board is totally trippy, man :cool1

I think I'd end up cutting something other than the product on that one ... Crazy stuff:)

The jigsaw is just awesome.

Cheers,

J

20. For sure lol! I'll pass along the compliments! Maybe I'll get him over here eventually lol.

One more 'acquisition' as a result of buying the new board.

20150504_185528-01.jpeg

I made me a batch of board butter :D. 1/3lb or so of pure beeswax, about twice that in volume of coconut oil and choji oil (5 parts total...1 beeswax, 2 coconut oil, 2 choji oil). I'll be honest...the smell makes me want to eat it lol. Seriously. The bowl on the right is the cooling batch...while the spoon and board sponge show the consistency at room temp (about 82°F in my shop right now). I think it's going to be good stuff!

Last edited: May 4, 2015