1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Kitchen Acquisitions

Discussion in 'Food and Drink' started by Andy, Feb 25, 2014.

1. schanop

schanop Founding Member

New choppablock tasmanian oak board.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

And it comes with a very nice packaging from the maker.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. V1P

V1P Founding Member

Tassy oak?That's what my flooring is made of haha.

Very nice!

3. BathonUk

BathonUk Founding Member

A gift from my girlfriend.

Cast iron casserole.

[​IMG]

4. schanop

schanop Founding Member

Nice. Is it sharp, Greg, carrying Sabatier brand?

5. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

6. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

7. Spaz

Spaz Founding Member

Your all starting to piss me off, I haven't gotten any new kitchen toys in a long time!:mad:

8. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

I used to have one of those baby webers that I used for tailgating. load it with charcoal and bungie cord it together and carry it by the handle.

9. zwiefel

zwiefel Rest in peace brother

They have a model now with a lid holder that doubles as a clamp/handle for carrying when not in use:

http://www.amazon.com/Weber-1211001...id=1406213621&sr=1-10&keywords=weber+charcoal

I've been pleased with mine...though I much prefer my Weber Performer...but not as portable ;)

10. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

20140724_185715.jpg Found these silver plated poultry shears for a couple of bucks at a flea.

11. mr drinky

mr drinky Founding Member Gold Contributor

12. skiajl6297

skiajl6297 Founding Member

Had a gift card, and picked up the charcoal starter called the looftlighter. Not so much a kitchen need, as a cooking-related accessory. Very curious to see how well this thing works. Intend to use it for grilling/smoking (quick lights in evening home from work) as well as for fireplace in the winter. Anyone have experience with it? http://www.looftlighter.com/

13. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

I've used my Wagner heat gun to start coals. It works well, if you spend about two minutes making sure it is good and started it will go from there. I think it is the same idea behind the Looftligher. Looftlight might be quicker as it seems to have the heating element right at the end where it is able to touch the coals. Wagner heat gun is very rugged. don't know about the LL as it seems to be a modified hair dryer. The heat gun will get my coals going faster than other methods I've used but requires a couple minutes of attendance right at the start. Now I just put two sheets of news print in the bottom of my chimney starter, light it and walk away for 15 or 20 minutes and they are ready to go.

14. apicius9

apicius9 Founding Member

Not a tool, but I will have lots of fun with this in the coming couple of years. Fresh saffron from Afghanistan, picked a few weeks ago.

Stefan

[​IMG]

15. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Man that is a lot of saffron! A nice big paella is in order!

16. apicius9

apicius9 Founding Member

Yep, that will probably make more than one paella ;). It was $10 for 1g or $77 for 1oz, what could I do? But it is very fresh, so it should keep a while and I love the stuff. Btw, would it be smart to stick part of it into the freezer, does anybody know? I got it from www.rumispice.com - absolutely no affiliation to these guys but I do like their business concept and the product quality is excellent.

Stefan

17. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

I don't know about freezing, but I was warned not to put it in the refrigerator. I've have purchased saffron a couple times over the years. I don't use a lot and have had pretty good luck keeping it in an air tight container in a dark cool pantry. I've kept it for years. I think it does change over the years, but still adds that saffron something.

18. Got my first cast iron Casserole Pot/Dutch Oven yesterday, I ended up with a brand I know nothing about as it was an impulse buy. It's a Kuhn Rikon and looks like a Le Creuset copy to me, it was quite cheap but it's very heavy and the enamel coating looks pretty good, there were a few in the store that had been handled pretty rough, lids lying about, pots in pots etc but I couldn't see any chips in the enamel on any of them, so seems reasonable quality.
    I used it for the lamb shanks I posted, worked great!! I always take care of my kitchen equipment so hopefully it will last a long time even though it's not a top brand.
    pot.JPG pot2.JPG

19. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

I've often wondered as to the material difference in those dutch ovens. I see them for hundreds of dollars and for $40 and everywhere in between. I'll probably get a good flogging for this, but how much different can they be?

20. From what I have gathered the enamel can be less wear resistant on the cheaper ones? I guess if I don't run it under cold water while it's still hot and not bang the enamel about with metal utensils too much it should last well, hopefully!!