1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Kitchen Acquisitions

Discussion in 'Food and Drink' started by Andy, Feb 25, 2014.

1. zwiefel

zwiefel Rest in peace brother

I've had that exact model for about 8 years now....still going strong! Love it.

Also forgot the pressure cooker!

2. zwiefel

zwiefel Rest in peace brother

This exact process. Flaxseed oil is key. I've tried a couple of other oils (including avocado) and they just don't work nearly as well as flaxseed...dunno why, but it's true.

I did about 15 layers on mine. Takes about 30 min to do one layer, so it was a longish day.

I did my cast iron skillet this way too...also worked very well.

The Debuyer was amazingly non-stick after this...better than some teflon I've used! scrambled eggs were a snap.

3. Andrew

Andrew Have Pen Will Travel Founding Member

Nice. Thanks! That's the method I was going to try, but I haven't done that many layers yet. I did a few, then seasoned it in the oven upside down a couple times. I may just make the time commitment to get that nice, even coating. I was originally worried about the season/coating/polymerized oil flaking off if I did too many layers.

4. Andy

Andy Founding Member

Just back from shopping tonight, and found a bottle of Habanero Tabasco, also some Tapatio hot sauce.

[​IMG]

Only the regular and habanero Tabasco are available here in Aus it seems, oh well better than none.

5. chefcomesback

chefcomesback Founding Member

Try US foods website, they carry lot of the Mexican and American food items, we get packages from them every now and then

6. Andy

Andy Founding Member

Thanks :thumb Had completely forgotten about them, will pay them a visit.

7. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

8. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

how could you pass it up?

9. Andy

Andy Founding Member

Wow Jim, Sumgai for sure! :cool1

10. Jim

Seems almost brand new.. its already found a home in the Garden state with a fellow KKFora member!

11. Andy

Andy Founding Member

Well, made the mistake of checking out USAFoods (An Aussie website that imports American goodies), was only looking for Tabasco, honest....

[​IMG]

12. Jim

13. Andy

Andy Founding Member

Got the green pepper Tabasco, already have the regular (actually 4 bottles) and a bottle of the Habanero.
    Seems I might be developing a little hot sauce problem :eek:

14. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Andy, I see you have some Crystal hot sauce in there. :like That is my preferred brand and the brand my relatives in Slidell Louisiana prefer. It is made in Metairie, LA which is a on the south shore of Lake Ponchatrain, a suburb of New Orleans.

15. Jim

Hot sauce madness!
    Here is another item, a one armed bean pot and salt and pepper mill.
    20140505_114712.jpg

16. You need some of this

image.jpg

17. Andy

Andy Founding Member

Thanks, I shall keep an eye out for some :like

18. Andre

Andre Founding Member

I'm a big fan of the LA "red dot" hot sauce you got. It's not very hot, and dosent have a ton of character like Tabasco or Crystal, but that is a good thing. It won't monkey with the flavors you already have, just season with it like you would lemon juice. Or better yet with lemon juice.
    They actually used to make Crystal sauce in the middle of New Olreans on Tulane between Carrolton and Jeff Davis. After 05' they moved the factory, now it is apartments, but the Baumer foods Crystal neon is still visible from the interstate.

19. apicius9

apicius9 Founding Member

I always have a bottle of Dave's Insanity Sauce around, but I have to admit, as I am getting older, I find it just too much, I prefer the nuances of a slightly milder one, when you can actually still taste something...

Andy, nice score of the US products. Just a thought: you can make a chocolate syrup in a few minutes, knowing what is in there and better tasting. It's really only simple syrup, a good cocoa powder (I use Valrhona), some good vanilla extract ( I have my own that I keep filling up with Maker's Mark or Wild Turkey :) ), and a pinch of salt.

Lastly, too lazy to take a pic now (pic borrowed from Amazon), but this was my Christmas present from my family, and I have used it a few times now. Haagen Dazs will probably notice the lower profit after I stopped buying theirs and started making my own, but it really is fun. Still improvising a lot, and not everything comes out great, but some were really nice.

Stefan

image.jpg

20. Andy

Andy Founding Member

Thanks, the LA "red dot" is next on my list to try, so far have sampled the Dave's Gourmet Roasted Garlic Hot Sauce and the Cholula Chili Garlic Sauce, really liked to Choula sauce, no real heat, but lots of flavour.

Thanks for the info, didn't really think much of the chocolate syrup, hard to explain the taste, almost powdery.
    Will have to give making my own a shot.