1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Kitchen Acquisitions

Discussion in 'Food and Drink' started by Andy, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Andy

Andy Founding Member

Thought it would be a good idea to have a thread where we can post our acquisitions.

Be it animal, mineral, vegetable or electrical, doesn't matter, if you brought it, post it :)

Picked up a bread maker yesterday, spent quite a bit of time researching them on the internet, and this one seemed to have the most favourable reviews.

[​IMG]

Also some flour to try it out.

[​IMG]

And finally, picked up a bottle of Tabasco this morning, haven't tried hot sauce before, so should be an experience.

The bread from the bread maker tasted great. While not as nice as oven baked bread, still much better than store brought. Also as an added advantage, it has a 13 hour delay timer.

2. Paradox

Paradox Founding Member

Andy. I'd love to see some shots of the bread you make in the machine. Thanks!

3. schanop

schanop Founding Member

Just got myself a bigger pot: All-clad 12qt. My previous 6.5 litre pot is a bit too small for some vessels that I use for double steaming.
    There are heaps more space inside this pot, so I am going to try out bowl steam pork belly again sometimes this week.

[​IMG]

4. Andy

Andy Founding Member

Turned out pretty good I think

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Paradox

Paradox Founding Member

Thank you. I agree that looks very nice. Years ago when I was a kid my dad had a bread machine that we used quite a lot for a period of time. The bread was decent. I have often wondered if they have improved over the years. I might look into this more again. Thanks for sharing it.

6. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

7. cclin

cclin Founding Member

Bake Sourdough Beer Bread with my new Staub Cast-Iron Cocotte
    20140225_203806.jpg 20140225_184243.jpg 20140226_013213.jpg

8. schanop

schanop Founding Member

Nice. I love my staub pieces.

9. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

10. Bill Farrell

Bill Farrell Founding Member

11. cclin

cclin Founding Member

it's "no knead" recipe, bread taste more moist/softer inside with Staub

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  12. PierreRodrigue

PierreRodrigue Tactical Walrus Founding Member

Found these, enameled cast iron, from Kitchenaid. Quality seems quite good.
    3.5 Quart round, and 6 Quart oval
    [​IMG]

13. beginish

beginish Silver Contributor Founding Member

A 1 lb bag of SAF instant yeast, and a new loaf pan from King Arthur Flour were waiting for me when I got home tonight. Man, I wish they put freebies in the package like West Coast Shaving.

14. Andre

Andre Founding Member

Tobasco is a condiment type hot sauce, very aged and fermented fairly hard. It's nice to put a couple of shakes on stuff. You should also get a bottle of something like Louisiana brand hot sauce that is less aggressive. Use it like you would lemon juice or vinegar to add acid and temper salt. Then in the summer when chilies come in you start making your own. The hot sauce rabbit hole is deep.

15. Intrigued

Intrigued Founding Member

Just got this Damascus Spoon to use on our coffee spoon rest.

Damascus Spoon 2.jpg

Damascus Spoon 3.jpg

Damascus Spoon 4.jpg

Damascus Spoon .jpg

16. Andrew

Andrew Have Pen Will Travel Founding Member

New De Buyer Carbone Plus pans. Heating up to make pancakes in the photo. They're fantastic. We've had the Lodge cast iron pan a while now, but it's great too P1100796.JPG .

17. Cclin, how bout you share that bread recipe, sounds great....Ryan

Ps...unless it's a secret

18. cclin

cclin Founding Member

sure, no secret! Here is the recipe. I just substitute 1/4 cup of sourdough starter for the 1/4 tsp. instant yeast & used my Staub Cast-Iron instead of loaf pan!!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  19. zwiefel

zwiefel Rest in peace brother

Niiiice!

20. zwiefel

zwiefel Rest in peace brother

Been on a bit of a run with new toys the last couple of months....mostly I blame MuchoBocho...

Refurb VitaMix...amazing piece of kit. Does in 30 seconds what took my top-rated kitchenaid blender 20 minutes.
    [​IMG]

Chamber vac, VP-112...another amazing piece of kit. Along with a couple of paintings by a friend.
    [​IMG]

Sansaire, from kickstarter project. good piece of kit for residential level use.
    [​IMG]

This was an xmas present...but I recently reseasoned it...rather pleased with the results. DeBuyer Mineral B with Eiffel Tower handle...
    [​IMG]