1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Kagekyio Sharpening/Repair...WARNING: Graphic Images....

Discussion in 'Sharpening forum' started by zwiefel, Sep 12, 2015.

1. zwiefel

zwiefel Rest in peace brother

So....I grabbed a Kagekyio off the BST a couple of months ago. then. stupidly. I dropped it. The only time I've ever dropped a knife. Left a nasty chip right in the middle of the belly near the tip. I decided that I'd try to fix it myself, and ship it off to Jon if I screwed it up too badly...which, yeah.

I just love the sparkle in the handle...
    [​IMG]

I did a rough measure of the depth of the chip, and marked that much space above the shinogi to remove...
    [​IMG]

here's the nasty chip...
    [​IMG]

Bit of mud from the pink brick, reflecting the sunlight.
    [​IMG]

Well....I did move the shinogi up...but if a cop pulled it over and asked it to walk a straight line, it would go to jail.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Perhaps the least awful photo possible....
    [​IMG]

But....this is unquestionably the best edge I've ever put on a knife...and one of the best edges I've ever experienced on a knife. So I did a tribute to Salty...but I have no F'in clue how he gets the tomato to sit still...

[VIDEO]
    [VIDEO]

2. XooMG

XooMG Founding Member

Congrats on a messy good result.

To control the tomato, slice the bottom and press it into the board with some lateral movement to get some suction.

3. zwiefel

zwiefel Rest in peace brother

I tried that, but couldn't quite get it to work for me....

4. bieniek

bieniek Founding Member

Well done Professor :) Kind of a catch 22 to get a chip in that spot. You could easily just abrade the edge up to the point it wasnt there anymore. It wouldnt hurt the knife and even less so the pristine finish. Now to make it look pretty will take some elbow grease :D

If your board is some super slick, polished wood with some boardbutter on top of it you might just put a layer of kitchen paper under the tomato.
    I guess your board doesnt get used enough ----> not enough bruising and cut ridges.

5. Do you mean like this?

6. This should work better.

7. And by the way, the handle on this knife was made by Anton. Doncha love it? (Sorry for going off-topic, Zwiefel.)