1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Just when things are looking up...

Discussion in 'The Off Topic Room' started by MotoMike, Jun 27, 2014.

1. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

I have leaned that it is then time to check over your shoulder to see what is sneaking up on you.

Had a power failure at my house. Investigation showed one of the buried cables from the pole to the house had failed. My contractors apparently put the footings over the wire instead of calling the power company. the failure happened right where the wire passes under the footing. Now the power company will not take responsibility for the wire. So I spent yesterday with a rented concrete saw cutting a slot for the electrician to dig a trench and install conduit to the pole and lay a new line. Of course since it was installed 40 years ago, code has changed and it now requires upgraded methods. Also, since the power company must approve it they insist on an licensed electrician to do the work. so this old house is kicking my ass. how it will shake out with the contractor remains to be seen.

2. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

Really sorry to hear that Mike. I hope it works out OK and the dummy who did the work ponies up the damages.

3. That really stinks Mike. Houses can be a never ending pit to throw your money into. I hope it works out and the contractor makes it right.

4. larrybard

larrybard Founding Member

Sorry to hear. A bit confused by your reference to installation 40 years ago. Does that mean whatever sloppy/negligent work created this failure was done by contractors 40 years ago -- so it's unlikely they're still around, or even can be located, and therefore far less likely you can get someone else to help with the cost of fixing this?

I recently had an electrical problem -- "broken neutral" outside my house, at the pole -- which fried almost all electrical devices (AC transformer, gas range control panel, GFI outlets, etc.) inside a second home I have in NJ. Electric company is apparently preparing to tell me that it's tough luck; s**t happens, normal wear and tear, etc.

5. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

40 years ago, code allowed them to lay the cable in the ground with no conduit. That is when the house was built and they ran the wire in a trench about 3 foot down to the corner of the house. since it failed the replacement wire must be in conduit or the power company wont provide the power. When my contractor did the foundation for the addition, he should have contacted the power company and it should have been rewired then. they don't allow you to run power under a foundation. the electrician that helped me with the work and the rep from the power company say that they must have nicked it with a spade or otherwise breached the insulation while moving around to frame the foundation footings around it. Aluminum wire I am told degrades in such a situation turning into a non conductive powder until there is nothing left to conduct current. not to mention it was pumping it into the ground.

The electrician and power company just finished and I am back on line.

6. Jim

7. Spaz

Spaz Founding Member

It's those little shortcuts that cause the biggest headaches! Hope the contractor ponies up!

8. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Me too. He says he will. proof is in the pudding. Just one more character building exercise.

9. Jim

10. Jay

Jay No soup for you Founding Member

What an extraordinary tale. Hope it all gets sorted out. I got lit up pretty good with 75V yesterday, so you definitely don't want to mess around with the incoming feed from the power company.

11. What's your co-pay?

12. Jim

Does Bob know about this?