1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Just paid for a new Heiji

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by EdipisReks, Feb 17, 2014.

1. EdipisReks

EdipisReks The Picasso of Creepiness Founding Member

msg-156-0-48719900-1392411341_thumb.jpg 270mm, 53mm at heel, 2mm thick at the shinogi. Should be awesome, but I won't get it for 4 months. This is the first time I've gotten an actual custom from Heiji-san. Attached is the picture that he came up with, after we sussed out the details (with a friend translating).

2. Lefty

Lefty Founding Member

This is going to be one helluva knife! Mine come before yours, so I'm going to brag first.... :D

3. EdipisReks

*grumble grumble grumble*

4. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

Very nice. Subscribe to the thread so you remember where to post pics when you get it.

5. Huw

Huw Founding Member

I tried to order a 240mm santoku direct from Heiji ( I really like the 210 i bought my girlfiend), but he was unwilling to make it for me, maybe I should try again if he's taking custom orders now.

6. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

Since we have four months to kill off before the next major upgrade to the thread and all, for those of us who dont know

Whose Heiji ?

7. MattS

MattS Founding Member

That's a lot of flat and a low tip for a 270, what are you looking at for tip height?

8. EdipisReks

I don't think that's what it would actually look like, as the others I've owned haven't been like that, including direct.

Unfortunately, my car decided it needed some expensive work yesterday evening (must have been jealous of my knives), so I've had to put this on hold (rainy day fund wasn't quite big enough for Toyota electrical issues). If I reorder it down the road, I'll post pics when it's received.

9. Lefty

Lefty Founding Member

Fine, let's take it a slightly different, but related direction - I have two Heijis coming in the next month, or so. One is for a customer, and the other is for me to play with and enjoy. With my Rader coming, there's a good chance that I'll be able to play with the Heiji for a bit, and then let a few guys have a crack at it...not guaranteed, but quite possible. :) Maybe I will organize a little passaround.

10. schanop

schanop Founding Member

I think Heiji takes custom order Huw. At least both of my semi-stainless chuka and semi-stainless damascus santoku were non-standard item. Although I didn't ask for anything specific in terms of profile, just the usual size and weight.

11. chinacats

chinacats Founding Member

Sweet! Is this one in carbon or semi stainless? I believe it should be carbon to help balance the collection?

12. Squirrel Master

Squirrel Master Founding Member

Which steel were you going to get for the heiji custom?

13. Taz575

Taz575 Founding Member

When I first saw the pic, I thought it was a Deba! If it was me, I would try to do a to scale drawing to make sure you get exactly what you are looking for in terms of the blade and tip shape.

14. Aphex

Aphex Founding Member

Perhaps it was a size issue. I've never seen a 240mm santoku before, maybe theres a reason, although i can't think why.

15. EdipisReks

Yeah, a 240 Santoku seems a bit weird, to me...

16. schanop

schanop Founding Member

My Heiji Santoku was ordered as a 210, but it came 225. I wouldn't complain about that though.

17. panda

panda Founding Member

240 santoku sounds pretty awesome to me. if i were to get a custom heiji i would want 255 santoku profile 56 height 4mm spine at the heel

18. Squirrel Master

Squirrel Master Founding Member

I wonder if you can request ku finish from heiji...

19. schanop

schanop Founding Member

Yes, you can. My Heiji KU finish is quite awesome actually.

20. apathetic

apathetic Founding Member

Seconded, I am waiting to get my first Heiji Gyuto, it's a KU