1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Is this how it begins? My first knife.

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by Toothpick, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Jay

Jay No soup for you Founding Member

It's all over for you now, Jason.

A petty is a great knife but it may take a bit of getting used to. It's a bit long for a paring knife and may feel awkward when used that way in the beginning. They're really good for trimming fat and silver skin off of meat, making sandwiches, slicing tomatoes, and a host of other tasks you'll discover.

Start making room for the others.

2. larrybard

larrybard Founding Member

Congratulations! Fine choice. Heed the advice above -- no bones, etc. And treat it with respect and care while using, with thoughtful cutting technique. In many ways I liken it to handling a gun; if you become cavalier and cease to be focused and careful then chances of an accident increase exponentially.

But enjoy!

3. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

4. Spaz

Spaz Founding Member

Very nice first choice. Don't worry, you won't spend more than $2000-3000 over the first year if your conservative. :D

5. Toothpick

Ha! I better pray for some overtime at work

6. i regret selling my 150...32g and it never chipped once breaking down cases and cases of ducks!

7. cheflarge

cheflarge Founding Member

Killer knives! :cool:

8. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Jason?
    How are you getting on with your new knife?

9. Toothpick

splendidly! It's getting easier to control, as in I don't feel as if I'm going to slice my finger off any minute.

10. bieniek

bieniek Founding Member

It is then it happens, when one feels safe and used to a knife. Watch out

11. Toothpick

I'm loving this knife. Although peeling apples is a bit awkward as mentioned it could be. Slicing through pineapples and chopping them up is a dream. I've used it only on fruit so far and it's made everything better!
    And I don't even like fruit....
    image.jpg

12. Indeed this is how it goes! I started with Miyabi Gyuto 4 years ago, then I needed something to deal with chicken so I bought honesuki, then another gyuto and another. Then petty for my wife now I am waiting for 5 more knives to arrive.
    Not to speak about stones, racks...
    It's never ending ;)

13. And then.....

you reach the point that you list knives in the B/S/T section just to make peace with yourself, and more importantly, your spouse. ('but sweetie, we haven't actually TRIED a knife made from a sawmill blade and reindeer antlers yet.....')

14. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Saw mill blade? Hmmmm

15. Rick

Rick aka Pensacola Tiger Founding Member Gold Contributor

Recycled saw mill blades, files, leaf springs from cars ...

I have a utility from Luke Snyder of Bloodroot Blades made from a automotive coil spring:

[​IMG]

16. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

quite nice.

17. Actually I already reached that point. I must say it is great that I did it. This is how my wife is at peace with the 5 ones that are due to arrive: " see honey, I can sell the ones I do not really like"

P.S. Of course I will never be able to sell the ones I was thinning or that example where my name is engraved on the blade ;)

18. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

If your name is Mike, you might still have a chance!!

19. Any new aquisition or not yet? :)

20. Toothpick