1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Is this how it begins? My first knife.

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by Toothpick, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

You are looking at a Gesshin 150mm Stainless Petty. I'm really excited about this. I've already sliced and peeled an apple!

I'm also really nervous when handling it because of how sharp it is. How do you overcome that? Just use it daily to get familiar with it?

Is there anything I SHOULD NOT do with it? Anything I shouldn't cut with it?

I watched a good video from Japanese Knife Imports about the Gesshin line and understand it can be useful for slicing meats, fruits and veggies. That's pretty much everything I eat!

And now for the un-boxing

Very nicely wrapped
    IMG_0509.JPG
    IMG_0510.JPG
    IMG_0511.JPG
    IMG_0512.JPG

IMG_0513.JPG

And now the knife!
    Any one know what the symbols mean?
    IMG_0514.JPG

IMG_0515.JPG

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  2. zwiefel

zwiefel Rest in peace brother

Don't use it on anything hard: bones, glass, marble, etc. RE getting used to it....just use it! A lot! then when it stops making you smile every time you use it....buy some stones and learn to sharpen it!

3. Jeffery Hunter

Jeffery Hunter Founding Member

Nice choice Sir!

4. Yes - this is how it begins! :D

In all seriousness - congrats - a very nice knife. Would be good to learn to keep it sharp, and to keep your non-knife hand safe (eg claw grip).

5. Mrmnms

Mrmnms Founding Member Gold Contributor

It's a great start. I thought you had some stuff already .

6. Toothpick

I make due with random knives I've acquired from big box stores. Nothing worth noting

7. My wife's favourite knife is a stainless 150 petty, so it's out on the board most of the day. It's quickly becoming a favourite of mine, too. Surprisingly good as a slicer due to the profile. Not so good for any kind of chopping. I recommend the "index finger over spine" grip to provide maximum knuckle clearance and control.

Congratulations, and enjoy!

8. This is like an avalanche starting with a single snowball / knife. :)
    Depends on your occupation as well. If you do cook for a living then there will be some more quite soon, if not then a bit later, but you won't stop at one.
    Then you'll be looking for stones, boards, racks, bags,... You'll be happy, your wallet won't. :)
    That's the way it goes.

9. WildBoar

WildBoar Founding Member Contributor

It 'began' for you when you guys launched KKF -- everything afterwards is just the slow (and sometimes fast) draining of your wallet :)

10. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

Congratulations! From what I've heard of Gesshin knives, you're off to a great start.

11. cheflarge

cheflarge Founding Member

I have a 210mm Gesshin Ginga Wa Petty in white #2. Goes with me every where. With Jon's superior knowledge, you can't go wrong with that purchase.

12. daveb

daveb Founding Member

Excellent choice. Package should have included a page that describes what Gesshin and the symbol means to Jon and Sara.

13. cheflarge

cheflarge Founding Member

FYI: The 210 petty was the first knife I bought before the "PLUNGE"!!! :cool:

14. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

Congratulations JJ! As noted above its simply for slicing, don't use it in drunken orgies to open Champagne bottles or cut up frozen food and it will last you a long long time.

So whats next?

15. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

And don't use it to open beer bottles. That's what your teeth are for.

16. Toothpick

Well I definitely need a knife I can saber champagne bottles with.
    What's next! I need to get used to this one first :BF
    But maybe a 240mm Gyuto. Seems to be another all terrain knife

Umm I may or may not have opened one or more beer bottles with my teeth in my life. :fp

17. Brad Gibson

Brad Gibson Founding Member

no more frozen vegetables.

18. Toothpick

19. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Looks like a great knife Jason. My first was a 150 petty.