1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Inexpensive (or maybe just really good value) Knives

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by Andrew, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Andrew

Andrew Have Pen Will Travel Founding Member

Please post inexpensive, or at least good value, knives here. It's fun to geek out over really nice stuff, but we're all at different points in our lives and have different budgets. I feel it's possible to get perfectly functional items for a reasonable sum, be it a fountain pen (for example) or a kitchen knife.

I'll go first. I really like the Victorinox Swiss Classic 8" Chef's Knife.

61An9angPHL._SL1500_.jpg

I feel it's about as good as one can hope to get for $30 or so. It's the knife I wish I had when I was a student. A friend of mine bought one of these several years ago, and I got to try it. I was pleasantly surprised, especially considering this knife's price tag. I haven't owned one of these, so I don't know how it would fare over the long haul. That said, I'm sure it would hold up fine.

Do you all know of any other great values out there at different price points? I'm hoping this thread can turn into a buyer's guide of sorts.

Thanks!

-Andy

2. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

Victorinox needs to give out a sharpening stone with those. Mercer has their version of it and it is about the same way for edge retention. The Mercer got knife of the year from some magazine but I know the Victorinox is one of the most recommended knives from Cook's Illustrated.

I've had some coworkers get Richmond Artifex gyutos and they like them. They are a lot heavier and thicker than a lot of knives but hey take and hold a edge but cost more than the Victorinox. AEB-L isn't bad to sharpen, it will gum up sandpaper quick if you try to polish/thin it.

I'm a bargain shopper and have gotten all sorts of mainstream knives that are great beginner knives for a $70-80. I picked up five Shun Sora not that long ago for $79. If it wasn't for the handle and the tip geometry I would love them but I have knives I like better and resold them all. :)

3. Huw

Huw Founding Member

[​IMG][/IMG] [​IMG]
    I recently picked up these knives from a Croation maker called Karlo Ban, they were 50€ for the 180mm's and 65€ for the 240mm, they are hand forged San Mai (clad) construction and are excellent cutters with alot of character

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  4. Huw

Huw Founding Member

Doesn't look like the pics worked, I'll try again

5. eightysixCJ

eightysixCJ Founding Member

Victorinox Forschner are my go to knives for butchering or cleaning fish.

[​IMG]
    Tom

6. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

You forgot fowl....hahaha

7. Chop

Chop Founding Member

I like the Mac "chef" series for my go-to "cheapie". It is bolsterless, but they still have great handle ergonomics. You can pic up a 210 for sub $70...not bad for a no frills molybdenum at 59hrc.

Also, the Dojo series are nice. You get aogami steel clad in stainless, which is awesome. The prices have jumped up a bit in the past year, though, moving them into stiffer competition.

8. Haggises

Haggises Founding Member

Based on recommendations at B&B, the first bread knife I ever acquired that actually cut bread instead of shredding, mashing, crumbling etc...

[​IMG]

9. eightysixCJ

eightysixCJ Founding Member

Yes! And for salames, $13 Boker Magnum

[​IMG]
    Tom

10. Jason

Jason Let it Rain, let it rain let it... huh? Founding Member

I need a new, cheap knife to replace my current cheap knife that the gf thinks can just soak in the sink or go in the dishwasher.
    Currently using a cheapo Cuisinart Santoku. I would prefer to go back to the traditional German chef's knife.

11. Andrew

There's no such knife. It may be time to impress certain values upon your girlfriend. Or just ask her not to use the kitchen knives. At least she'd have two options to choose from, anyway. Knife abuse shouldn't be idly dismissed, imo. YMMV, of course.

-Andy

12. Boris

Boris Founding Member

some battles just arent worth fighting lolz

13. Andrew

But some are. These are knives we're talking about, man. I invoked the power of YMMV. There's a third option, but I assumed harmoni likes his current girlfriend enough to keep her around.

-Andy

14. Argonaut

Argonaut People call me French sounding words Founding Member

They control half of the knives and 100% of something else that escapes me at the moment... I've been married for almost 22 years.

15. Andrew

That's pretty neat!

-Andy

16. turtle

turtle Founding Member

LOT depends on where "here is".

If you are near the Lamsonsharp factory, drop in for a real treat in their store "seconds" bin.... WOWZERS!!!!

/http://www.lamsonsharp.com/

17. Andrew

I consider myself to be one seriously lucky guy. My girlfriend doesn't mind learning to take take care of and use things properly. She also likes fountain pens. :)

-Andy

18. Andrew

Looking around, there don't seem to be many decent knives in the $50 range. Are the Kyocera knives in that region (on Amazon) decent?

-Andy

19. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

Has anyone tried to the lower end KAI/Shun/Kershaw knives off of ebay? There are a couple that would be $60ish after shipping.

20. Andrew

Those sound like they might be alright.

-Andy