1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Im thinking about a Nakiri

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by James, Feb 17, 2014.

1. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

It looks like the last B&B group buy lol

2. turbo

turbo Founding Member

I was looking at the konosuke Fujiyama in white steel from tosho. The other knives in that series are fantastic so I could only imagine that grind on a nakiri.

3. Andrew

Andrew Have Pen Will Travel Founding Member

Ha! It sure does!

-Andy

4. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

Boy was my Tax return A LOT higher then I thought it was going to be,... Im doomed, so very very doomed

but in a good way

5. John Fout

invest in precious metals. :D

6. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Jay
    Another chance for you to peal a layer of onion that is my ignorance. I had thought that the Usuba and Nakiri could be used pretty much interchangably. What is it about the single bevel that will limit its utility? And does it especially excel at some tasks that the Nakiri would not?
    Thanks in advance
    Mike

7. XooMG

XooMG Founding Member

Nakiri are generally pretty thin, 1-3mm at the spine. The usuba I've seen are generally more than 4mm at the spine and are more of a specialized knife for thin cuts.

8. apathetic

apathetic Founding Member

I have a Usuba which I am learning how to use:

9. butch

butch Founding Member

i loved my monsterkiri it was 230x75 i didnt really need any other knife in the kitchen sept for a parer. now i have a chef knife and miss the long flat edge for veg. work

10. James

Ive been looking hard at the masakage suki nakiri... but we will see once I get my return,put some away and if anythings left over whether a new pen, tea stuffs, or knife is in the future

11. John Fout

Are you ready for carbon? (It isn't that scary and you get to watch the patina form. <3)

12. Taz575

Taz575 Founding Member

Yuki is stainless clad, carbon core, so the core will patina and be dark and the cladding will stay nice and shiny. Cool contrast! Some guys like to etch their knives like this (Hiromoto AS especially!) because it looks cool with the carbon/stainless contrast and reduces the reactivity of the carbon core.

13. Andrew

Funny you mention the Hiromoto AS.

14. Taz575

Taz575 Founding Member

Why? The Hiro AS is one of the most prolific knives that this is done to. I remember reading about it years ago when I first got into Japanese knives; got my mom one so I could see the Patina difference! LOL. I prefer all carbon myself, but the SS clad/Carbon Core is a really cool look IMHO; I prefer natural patina, but forcing it works well and cuts down on reactivity.

15. John Fout

James has a Hiromote AS 240 on the way from Dave Martell complete with spa package. It was a group buy and Badger and Blade. Mine is getting a custom handle with matching petty. So we are getting some shiny Hiromoto AS etched love.

16. Taz575

Taz575 Founding Member

LOL, ah, ok! Yeah, he does a nice job with the etching and there is a sliver of different steel between the cladding and core it looks like in the pics, so you have the dark core steel, that bright pop of the bright polished steel (thin layer) and then the regular cladding. Gives a beautiful contrast!

17. XooMG

XooMG Founding Member

Nickel stock between core and cladding, I guess. Welds without too much fuss and can serve as a carbon migration barrier.

18. Taz575

Taz575 Founding Member

Ok, couldn't remember if it was SS or what it was, thanks! I saw some other knives that used Copper between the core and cladding and I think Takeda uses something in between, too.

19. Andrew

So do I. Can't wait!

20. James

I know,... im usually good at just putting long order stuff out of my mind, but this one is driving me nuts, Im getting the feeling im going to end up with a Knife before my knife gets here

Btw anyone have any thoughts on the Masakage Suki namiki ? in this regards, any reason not to get it, IE other knives at same price point, for a little bit less get the same level, or for a bit more get a lot more bang for your buck

No reason just curious