1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Im thinking about a Nakiri

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by James, Feb 17, 2014.

1. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

2. Jeffery Hunter

Jeffery Hunter Founding Member

A big fan of my nakiri and use it more than most other knives in the small roll, Try one if ya can

3. James

I have Nakiri on the min, Im thinking im going to need one in my hand or Ill always regret it

4. Taz575

Taz575 Founding Member

I love my Nakiri's! I do a decent amount of veggies and will usually grab the Nakiri to blow through onions, peppers, mushrooms, carrots, sweet potatoes, etc. It also saves the edge on the gyuto and gives me another excuse for another knife!! I normally julienne onions; if I am doing a fine dice, I will grab a gyuto sometimes, but not always.

Ones I have tried:

Artifex Nakiri: a bit too short blade height wise for me, also thicker behind the edge. I still had knuckle clearance, but I like a taller Nakiri normally.
    Fujiwara Terayasu Nashiji: Great cutter, good convexing, crazy expensive now? Like over double what I paid for mine 6 or 7 years ago IIRC. The White Steel didn't seem to be the 64-65 advertised back then, too, but performed very well.
    Tojiro Shirogami: A bit thicker overall, the Kurouchi finish looks like a smooth gun bluing and translucent, not the solid textured black I normally see. Cuts well, more of a workhorse Nakiri with some extra weight to it. Handle is low end, too.
    Tanaka Kurouchi: One of my faves, I practiced my thinning on mine so it's like a laser now, but even OOTB, performed on par/a smidge better than the Fujiwara Terayasu. Kurouchi releases food easily, cuts well through food. Handle is fairly low end, too.
    Tanaka Sekiso: Excellent performance like the Tanaka Kurouchi, slightly better F&F/handle, too. Metal Master has these for great prices usually!
    Richmond AS Laser Nakiri: Stupidly thin behind the edge with the blade slightly hollow ground from above the blade road to the spine. Cuts very well, a bit taller than the Sekiso Nakiri. SS Clad, AS core, but also a lot more $$ than the Tanaka's!
    Yamashin Kurouchi: Meh, lefty bias blade grind, somewhat thicker behind the edge like the Fujiwara and Tojiro Shirogami. Decent cutter, loved the blade profile, but there are better ones out there. Handle was very rough, too.

Haven't tried many SS Nakiri's other than the Artifex, I prefer carbon for my blades normally.

Performance wise, the 2 Tanaka's beat out most others, especially for the cost.

5. Bill Farrell

Bill Farrell Founding Member

Unlike many, I'm a fan of santokus. Here's a choil shot of an Itinomonn santoku I just picked up from Maxim. The blade gets so thin at the edge it turns into sort of an atomic mist. Falls through food, as you might expect. I think this maker is one to watch.

[​IMG]

6. Taz575

Taz575 Founding Member

Oh man, that is a sweet choil shot!! Grind looks like it has the small hollow towards the spine and then a nice thin grind down to the edge. I don't mind santoku's, but they tend to be a bit short lengthwise by the time I pinch grip it. Double bevel Funayuki's are also fun, but again, 165mm is the normal length. Same with Nakiri's; most are 165mm.

Wow, the nakiri in that same series has a nice looking grind and it's a 180mm!

7. Aphex

Aphex Founding Member

Here's a quick poor quality choil pic of an Itinomonn nakiri 180mm. This thing is crazy thin behind the edge, you can just imagine what it doe's to vegies. nakiri1.jpg

8. Taz575

Taz575 Founding Member

Yup, thats a veggie killer grind right there!:thumb

9. Andrew

Andrew Have Pen Will Travel Founding Member

This is very bad news. I hate you all.

-Andy

10. James

Did you already pull the trigger? Ill let you be the guinea pig

11. Andrew

No. It'll have to be later this year. It will bother me until then, however.

-Andy

12. apathetic

apathetic Founding Member

So many more knives to get and Nakiri is one of them. I heard that there over 500 types of knives in Japan if not more... anybody ever tried completing the list? :D

13. Jeffery Hunter

Jeffery Hunter Founding Member

oh the possibilities

14. Taz575

Taz575 Founding Member

500?? That's what I can a Bucket List!

15. apathetic

apathetic Founding Member

Girls need a dressing room, guys need their kitchen knife room :D

16. James

Some of us need padded rooms, but they cant catch us all

17. Taz575

Taz575 Founding Member

Padded floors would be great for when we drop a knife...

18. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

Sadly it happens :(

I'll try to get a choil shot of my nakiri that Dave had in the B&B group buy. The picture I have shows it but it is hard to see.

19. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

20. Andrew

That's quite lovely!

-Andy