1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Im thinking about a Nakiri

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by James, Feb 17, 2014.

1. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

It will be down the road a bit, as I just bought a certain group buy Gyoto (240mm) and have some other major projects up coming, but as my second nice knife a Nakiri was the blade type I was going to add. I do lots of stews and slow cooker stuff because A. I live in canada, and B. I have a horrible work schedule. so I chop and dice and do lots of veggies. Ive been told to hang tough till i get a good feel of the Gyoto to see how that works for me as I have only used a German chefs knife for a full sized guy before, but was wondering from all you blade Guru's how many just need to have a Nakiri in the kitchen and would consider it an essential part of their prep, or if its really unneeded and I should possibly think about some other things ?

2. Jay

Jay No soup for you Founding Member

The usuba, santoku, and nakiri are all variations on the cleaver theme. The santoku tries to accomplish perhaps too many things (three virtues), but I don't think it particularly excels at any of them. The usuba is a very specialized single bevel knife that may see very limited use in your kitchen. Of the three, I think the nakiri is the sleeper. It's a great mini cleaver with a rounded tip and a thin blade that's great for veggie work. I love to death.

3. Marko Tsourkan

Marko Tsourkan Founding Member

Nakiri is a knife that you will either like or not. I would say buy one and if you don't like it, sell it. Or borrow a nakiri from somebody to see if you like it.

I can do everything with a gyoto that nakiri would do, but on an occasion, a nakiri is a good knife to have. I personally make an effort to use one to get some variation in my cutting.

If you get one, make sure it has a rounded tip.

Marko

4. Lefty

Lefty Founding Member

I'm trying to think of whether or not I have one hanging around that you could borrow. Oshawa isn't exactly far, for me. :)

5. Marko Tsourkan

Marko Tsourkan Founding Member

Didn't you have a Shige nakiri, Tom? A great nakiri by the way.

6. Lefty

Lefty Founding Member

Gone! There is one by the Son, but it's still new....

7. James

I have a vender close by ? That may be good or bad... im guessing it will hurt lol

8. Lefty

Lefty Founding Member

If it helps, we're Canadian, so you know I'll always say sorry afterwards....

9. MattS

MattS Founding Member

I let my kids and great grandmother use my nakiri.....not tyring to dissuaded you from getting one, but the are other more useful knives...

10. James

What would you use, I don't mind being dissuaded but id also like to hear what others like as well for their prep

11. Lefty

Lefty Founding Member

I enjoy nakiris, but I don't have one anymore, with my new streamlined collection. A sujihiki and petty are essentials, for sure.

12. James

How come all Japanese knives have cool japanese sounding names like Gyoto, Nakiri, sujihiki... then petty. Maybe the maker was a big fan of Tom I guess

13. MattS

MattS Founding Member

Stick with the gyuto it will do everything a nakiri does and more. If you really want to go hard core in the veggie prep get a chance cheap chinese cleaver.

14. James

Your the second mention for a chinese cleaver. Man at this rate my gyoto is going tobe lonely guesz it can have out with my pens and razors

15. Argonaut

Argonaut People call me French sounding words Founding Member

I see the famous James dictionary translates to other forums as well.:)

16. Rick

Rick aka Pensacola Tiger Founding Member Gold Contributor

"Petty" is a bastardization of "petit gyuto".

17. James

The sooner they learn "syngentism" the easier It will be on all of us

18. Rick

Rick aka Pensacola Tiger Founding Member Gold Contributor

Make it three. I'm a home cook, and as an experiment, I worked for a month with only four knives - a parer, a hankotsu, a line knife and a Chinese cleaver. Didn't miss a gyuto one bit.

[​IMG]

19. Lefty

Lefty Founding Member

Nice line up!

Chinese cleavers are pretty cool, I guess. Haha. I have to admit, I could never do it, myself. I tried, but it wasn't for me.

20. MattS

MattS Founding Member

Here is the thing, there is a learning curve, but if you give it a hardcore go for a month you will find you cannot live without it. it slices, it dices, it chops and best of all...it scoopes.

There is really nothing to loose, you can find a cheap China town cleaver for a few bucks, a CCK for not much more.