1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Ichimonji Kichikuni yanagi polishing & sharpening

Discussion in 'Handiwork Display' started by bieniek, Mar 20, 2014.

1. bieniek

bieniek Founding Member

A while ago I posted a thread about me helping folks with single bevel problems.

Few days ago I got this:

[​IMG]

Little scuffed front side but nothing serious and

[​IMG]

totally untouched backside.

Decent straightness :k

[​IMG]

So after a few minutes with a hammerdrill and hydraulic press I could begin polishing.

To do so, first one have to even out the blade road. This will show every little tiny downspot, any hill or bump and overgrinds too. Here I found one near the heel and surprisingly whis is another knife of the same brand with the same tiny defect.

Not on the picture, but I did that with my DMT plate. First XC, then C, and then I jumped on the 1K JNS, and then on the 800 JNS, which I just picked from the post office.

Youre trying to achieve some regular scratch patterns, it doesnt have to be perfect, since its a budget knife, but it has to be decent.
    Since we try to do something, we could also try not to make the blade road wavy, ok?

[​IMG]

So after that, I like to stop working on the front, and move my attention to the backside. I opened it up with 1K

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So far so good, but what is the story with this tip? It curved waaaay too much for my taste, if I have any

[​IMG]

So Im continuing the offensive with my white binsui, then my noname cheapo ohira with some magic powder on it, and then a little tiny fingerrock.

The result, after pre-sharpening too :j

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Will try to sharpen finish tonight and post it back to the owner tomorrow

2. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

3. BathonUk

BathonUk Founding Member

I love your work Bieniek. It's always superb. You should post some of your previous works mate.

4. apathetic

apathetic Founding Member

That is looking very good!

5. schanop

schanop Founding Member

This is very kind of you bieniek. Looks like a fun project nevertheless.

6. brainsausage

brainsausage Founding Member

Time to split some wood!

7. Bill Farrell

Bill Farrell Founding Member

Impeccable work as usual. What did you do with hammerdrill/hydraulic press? Or was that just a joke that went over my head?

8. bieniek

bieniek Founding Member

Ha ha ha ;)

I guess its not only me here who cannot catch the drift :)

Thanks fellow members! Wouldnt say that was impeccable, but its not worth to be. I know this might sound a little off, but thats truth. The owner is not yet experienced enough, and the knife well cannot blame the knife but the blade is not of the best kind. Surprisingly light given the length and height. Not an exciting sharpness out of that one. Better F&F than the other Ive seen and much better grind all in all, but still one word expails it all: unremarkable

Yeah I just might post my previous polishing jobs, must find it first.