1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

I want to get Stoned

Discussion in 'Sharpening forum' started by James, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Not bad at all for your first try if it's sharper than ootb, congrats! :thumb
    The journey is almost as fun as the end results, enjoy the ride my friend.

2. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

Was an odd blade for me, since im used to only doing straights, this is one big curve with no flat spots so between forward and back its also a constant sweep, took a while to get the angle to hold steady for me... I had to try doing it in a few positions to find a way to get it to go, although in the end im pretty sure i just stumbled into an edge and I could have done the same thing blindfolded and drunk.... but i still have a sharp knife so im happy

2014-04-09 00.12.30.jpg

3. So modest... getting a sharper edge your first go round is a nice accomplishment. Little knives can be a bit awkward.

What knife is next?

4. James

whatever knife I take to the class I guess lol, they promised a sharp knife when you leave the class, I believe hinting they will fix my crap if i muck it up,... So maybe one of Matt's loaners lol

5. MattS

MattS Founding Member

Feel free to take any of them to the stones, just don't try to use a Chefs Choice to set your bevel:)

6. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

A magic marker on the what you need to remove is a great aid and I find myself still using it!

7. Spaz

Spaz Founding Member

The first knife I tried to sharpen was a 10" Victorinox Chefs and I turned it into a 10" Victorinox butter knife.

8. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

I was just talking about this yesterday, I took Daves Class a few years ago and always had trouble sharpening the tip on single bevel knives. In 10 seconds of hands on I "got it" vs many hours of youtube and video instruction.

9. James

well I made a mess of this lol

2014-04-18 16.12.55.jpg

Lol man that was a death blow, it looks and feels so bad I kind of want to buy another one... I mean I wont ill get this fixed, but man that is just a horrid feeling, glad I didnt try it on one of my kitchen knives first

10. John Fout

I've seen worse. The tip is one of the hardest spots to get the angle right. Bust out a magic marker!

11. MattS

MattS Founding Member

Lol, is that a Cut Brooklyn? If so, I messed the tip up pretty good, I think that looks great compared to mine.

12. James

lol no its my spyderco... im afraid to touch your knives now, well to stones

13. John Fout

I find pocket knives harder than chef knives... just keep practicing.

14. Andre

Andre Founding Member

Tips are tricky, tips on small knives are a giant pain. This is kind of like running with weights, When you move on to bigger knives it will be so easy.

15. When we decided to get into knife sharpening my husband went to an auction for a restaurant that was closing and bought a big box full of house knives. Some carbon steel, some cheap stainless, and lots of unknown metals. Cost was maybe 25 cents per blade. We "learned" on them. Yard sales, Volunteers of American and Goodwill are also good sources for cheap blades for pratice.

16. Boris

Boris Founding Member

did u ever end up taking the classes james?? I recently got my hands on pretty much the exact same set of stones you got, but man i feel like the leearning curve is steep lol

17. James

not yet... they're not all that close and getting to them with all the construction going on from work is iffy... im going to try to get a night