1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

I want a fixed blade EDC knife - Need help.

Discussion in 'EDC - What is in your pocket?' started by Toothpick, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Brad Gibson

Brad Gibson Founding Member

Cool knife Warren. Great work!

2. Thanks, I had one of those silly 'I want to be Ray Mears' moments and put it together on a fishing trip, hard work cutting out the scales with a coping saw and hand sanding, I ran out of time on the trip but tried to finish it, hence the bulky shape:D Think someone should be able to make use of it and it's a really good blade.
    (sorry for the thread hijack, I started by offering it up and kind of kept posting:confused:)

3. It's not really a knife that you'd 'carry'. It's a piece of jewelry that I used to cut boxes, string, etc...when for whatever reason I don't have my EDC. It's also a hanging advertisement for my knives...and gets a stupid amount of attention. I once sold one in a McDonalds drive through for $300, lol...and the kid actually paid when the thing was completed and I delivered it!

Anyhow, here's a couple pictures:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A few things to keep in mind...first...it's shaving sharp. Second...I've been wearing this exact blade for four years now...24/7 except to sleep in (and I sometimes forget and wake up in the morning with it on lol), without a poke or scratch...and I'm a VERY active guy. And finally, the necklace part is usually tighter around my neck, which plays a big part in keeping it from being able to poke. This thong is a couple years old, and so has stretched some.

4. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

Truly appreciate the offer. Very nice of you. But I'll have to respectively decline.
    Great looking knife but I'm eyeing a different steel and handle.
    Perhaps put it in the pass-arounds and giveaways forum?

5. Toothpick

Very cool! I can't believe you've slept with that around your neck!
    I can definitely see that as being the conversation starter and business advertisement. "Oh this little thing? Let me show you what I can really do"

It's also completely different than what I was imagining it. I was thinking of something that looked like a little knife. Complete 180.

6. Chuckles

Chuckles Founding Member

7. No problem, didn't think it would be what you were looking for but worth a try, might do a PIF or something with it

8. Thanks man, lol. Told you it was more jewelry than a knife...though it's 100% usable in a pinch grip. I put a lot of design considerations into it...from how I wanted to hold it, to the reversed inside edge (the primary cutting edge)...which allows it to cut aggressively without much force. The entire back is a convex...from side to side, and tip to top. This keeps the edges and point away from your skin, protecting you, and also protecting the edge from sweat and acidic skin oils. It's really a very complicated little piece. Funny thing...it gets the most actual use when unpacking from a move. I wrap the necklace around my wrist twice, letting the blade hang. When I need to open a box, a wrist flick puts it right up into may hand to cut the box open. An unintentional perk...but kinda cool.

Back on topic...I second Murray's neck knives. They're as rustic in a way as his kitchen knives...but are definite performers.

9. i have a bunch of murray carters neck knives…i use them in leather or kydex sheaths on my belt and they can't be matched inch for inch by any other belt knife I've used….well maybe a few but not many….ryan

p.s…let me know if u need any specific info and id be more than happy to share…ryan

10. Where do I find the darned things!

11. Wagner the Wehrwolf

Wagner the Wehrwolf Founding Member

12. Gulp.
    Thanks Wagner. But a bit out of my range.

Someone mentioned radar had Aebl neck knives for under 100? Looking for fishing knife.

13. PierreRodrigue

PierreRodrigue Tactical Walrus Founding Member

I did this one a while ago. Its forged from steel cable. Is this closer to what you were thinking?

[​IMG]

14. Yes! Maybe with cord handle for grip? And stainless or something so it wouldn't rust away.

15. Jeffery Hunter

Jeffery Hunter Founding Member

That looks brilliant Bear. You do these often?

16. It does, doesn't it.

17. I love handles with scales that are inset from the spine by a small amount. That was one of the reasons I did mine in wrought the way I did on my own EDC. I just like the simple yet complex effect it gives off. Very nice work Pierre!

18. PierreRodrigue

PierreRodrigue Tactical Walrus Founding Member

I do them occasionally. The guy who ordered this one wanted it as a neck knife, to be carried handle up in a leather sheath. The cord was changed to something lighter, but you get the idea.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Toothpick

That's really close to what I want Pierre. Simple, nice handle, leather sheath.
    Great looking knife!

20. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Beauty Pierre, just looks right.