1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

I want a Deba...

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by John Fout, Aug 23, 2014.

1. Wagner the Wehrwolf

Wagner the Wehrwolf Founding Member

2. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

I have an email to Watanabe regarding a moirishi deba. We shall see what comes of it.

I'm torn between a new knife and a new pen ;) The knife will get more use in regards to making life easier. The pen will make life prettier!

3. bieniek

bieniek Founding Member

I dont think theres anyone here who does.... I dont think they are any good to be honest but you just want to try right?

Yeah the Tojiro costs just 99 dollars for 21cm and it might be decent. There are 24cm variations but out of stock now.

4. John Fout

I was looking at the 180 blue steel Tojiro Deba, not the Moroishi. I'm not impressed by Tojiro's VG offerings in other knives. Too fat of handle, don't mind their Shirogami assuming you get one without too many over grinds/heat treat warpage.

I'll wait for Watanabe to get back to me, go from there.

5. bieniek

bieniek Founding Member

If we talk regular debas, there is super plenty to chose from.

Just a yoshihiro hongasumi will meet your needs. The ones from bluewayjapan too. Jon at JKI sells some nice yoshihiros.
    I dont think Watanabe makes his cheaper blades himself... Just so you know

6. John Fout

Yoshihiro has a contender... I need to sleep on it.

7. Andre

Andre Founding Member

I'll be working on mine on Tuesday, it might be ready.

8. John Fout

9. roberto

roberto Founding Member

Watanabe asks about 6000Yen for a burn't chesnut handle for a deba.

10. daveb

daveb Founding Member

I've got a Yoshihiro yanagiba from that same line. No frills, hard working knife. Like.

11. Andre

Andre Founding Member

Yeah, if you are into the Mioroshi style that would be a winner. A regular deba would probably give you a bit more flexibility in what fish you can slay. You will likely have to put some time into getting some low spots out, but I have had to do that on much more expensive knives.

12. John Fout

Not unexpected. We shall see.

You all have been very helpful!

13. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

I'm anxious to see what you do John.

14. daveb

daveb Founding Member

You know if you dropped just another 50 you could order the Gesshin Uraku (at one time a rebranded, upgraded Yoshihiro - not sure now). Buying from Jon would considerably reduce or eliminate any low spot, single bevel grind or edge concerns.

15. John Fout

Curse you... $50 is worth my time hahaha. Now to be remember to call JKI during shop hours.... They're close on Thursdays (but I'm sure to get good food pics on instagram!)

16. John Fout

Went with a 240 miorishi from JKI. Jon tried talking me into a yanigiba... He did talk me into the larger length.

17. JBroida

JBroida Founding Member

for reference on debas, yanagibas, and salmon

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Andre

Andre Founding Member

I would really like to look through the rest of that book. It's good to get a different perspective and techniques to blend into how you work. I also have to teach some other folks how to do my job and there are not that many good books on fish butchery out there in the world.

19. daveb

daveb Founding Member

While I have a nice picture of a salmon to work with, is this (yellow lines) approx where I would cut to have the collar for koma?

salmon.jpg

20. Andre

Andre Founding Member

It's easier to do with a fish in front of you. Look for the line of the spine just like where you would cut to fillet.
    Cut all the way in the dorsal side, following the edge of the skull.
    Feel around for where the skull ridge forms a v (more or less prominent on different species) and make a shallow guide cut down to the gill opening, or to the pectoral fin depending on if you want to keep that bone in there.
    I like it, as it keeps the meat together for grilling or frying. If you want to leave the bone in cut it at the top and bottom of the gill opening with garden or poultry shears and repeat the filleting cut toward the pelvic side, freeing the collar.
    Bone out just follow the bone around until the filleting motion frees the collar.
    Be very careful at this. I did not have anyone show me technique on this, I learned through trial and error, and one of the errors was a nasty chip in a deba. You feel really dumb after that, so go slow.