1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

I guess I should just stop...

Discussion in 'The Off Topic Room' started by CrisAnderson27, Sep 22, 2014.

1. ...making knives now!

Shun, apparently...has all bases covered, lol.

2. Who is this joker? But I liked those big foam blades, more people should use that when trying to explain edge anatomy and deformation. :D

3. Right? I need to pick up some bulk foam lol. I'll make a bunch of knives with my various preferred geometries as an illustration for potential customers :p.

4. daveb

daveb Founding Member

Alton - The original food geek. Loved him way back when.

Now he's just another food whore. And to think they could have had me for half the price....

5. Pretty nice video that explains some basics to knife newbies in a very straightforward way.

6. Yeah, well, now that I think of it, it's pretty good explaining. If he could just replace all that "Shun knife" stuff with "Typical Japanese knife" , because it sounds like Shun has come up with a unique way of making knives.

7. Christopher

Christopher Founding Member

I'm pretty sure Alton was/is sponsored by Shun. That's probably why he's pushing that specific brand ( that vid is almost 2 years old ).

8. zwiefel

zwiefel Rest in peace brother

BAM! that right there. Both parts :)

9. Andre

Andre Founding Member

It's older than that. I saw that maybe 7,8 years ago when he had the weird angle knives.

10. Dream Burls

Dream Burls Founding Member

This was one of the videos I saw before I found any of the knife forums when I was looking for a xmas present for the wife. I wound up buying her a set of shuns, which she loves, and that started me on the road to custom knives, handles and Dream Burls.

11. I'm sure the Shun's are good knives...they have a reputation as decent knives regardless, and usually that's somewhat deserved where its applied. Mostly I posted this because of the 'These are the BEST!' attitude, and the video itself was funny and entertaining lol.

:)

12. Andre

Andre Founding Member

Being funny and entertaining, as well as informative is how AB made his name. It's what made his show stand out, and I wish food television that has the quality of the the old AB show or Molto Mario was being produced today.

13. Lefty

Lefty Founding Member

I like it. Thanks for the link.

FWIW, Shuns do make good knives, but Cris even said that.