1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

i can has moar handles

Discussion in 'Handiwork Display' started by Anton, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

Very nice!

2. daveb

daveb Founding Member

Anton Handle.jpg 2014-11-23 13.22.42.jpg

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  3. daveb

daveb Founding Member

Tried to say Thanks Anton above but my puter skills were not up for it. Nice little knife (chestnut(?) on a very nice handle.

4. Thanks, Dave!

Photos, like yours is the reason for me to continue. So I've spend an hour this morning cutting all my remaining wood into individual WA pieces.
    From this:
    [​IMG]
    Into this:
    [​IMG]
    and the remaining parts…
    [​IMG]

Now I feel myself more prepared for upcoming giveaway :)

5. Kim Bronnum

Kim Bronnum Founding Member

Wow, Anton. What a nice stash you´ve got!

6. Jeffery Hunter

Jeffery Hunter Founding Member

That piece at the bottom of the photo looks amazing!

7. apicius9

apicius9 Founding Member

It's not like I don't have any wood stashed myself, but I still get excited every time I see someone else's treasures, thinking I should buy some of that... ;) Some really nice looking pieces there, Anton!

Stefan

8. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My first D-handle ever. Though the ridge isn't very pronounced and almost invisible on the above photos.
    That wood was probably the trickiest wood I've worked with so far. Very soft. Add just a tiny bit more pressure then needed, and you have deep scratches.
    It also clogs sandpaper instantly, so I had to use steel wool for the majority of polishing.

Also on of the biggest handles I've ever done. I tried to match the size of original burnt chestnut handle, but ended up with a little bit bigger version. Gonna leave it as is and see how it works. If it's too big, I could always thin it later.

That piece of wood was a gift from Maxim (Thanks!).
    If I'm not mistaken it's Japanese Cedar. Looks stunning in person with a rich figure and some nice chatoyance.

9. apicius9

apicius9 Founding Member

Very nice work, Anton. I find D-handles to be the more complicated ones, occasionally I sand and sand to get it symmetrical and by the time I am done, it's too thin for anything... Also agree on the Japanese cedar. Fascinating wood but on the light side and trickier than others to work with. When working with woods like this, I try not to combine them with materials that are very hard because this would just make sanding much more complicated.

Stefan

10. chefcomesback

chefcomesback Founding Member

You have been busy Anton, very classy handles, very good
    Combinations

11. I always look forward to Anton handles. Very classy.

12. Jeffery Hunter

Jeffery Hunter Founding Member

Looking great as per usual Anton

13. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

What's the wood in that rightmost handle? Really beautiful!

14. It's Malaysian Blackwood that I got from Myron some time ago.

Thanks for comments.
    Only the two handles from right were made recently. The rest were made ~2 months, but because they all were sent in single package I decided to take a group shot before visiting post office. Small handles for small knives.

15. Brad Gibson

Brad Gibson Founding Member

that blue handle is extremely awesome. it really changed my view on the dyed woods. what is the white that it was paired with? is it possible to get one similar to that from you?

16. apathetic

apathetic Founding Member

These look really good :)

17. XooMG

XooMG Founding Member

Spacer isn't my thing but the blackwood finished very beautifully from the photo. Kinda wish I had some of that.

Nice work, Anton.

18. Thanks, Brad. White piece is Cascara if I'm not mistaken. As for making more handles, I'm about 2 months behind my own schedule… so don't want to promise anything at this point.

Walid, I wanted to thank you for that piece of Redwood. It's just stunning. I think it's too good for handles :)