1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

i can has moar handles

Discussion in 'Handiwork Display' started by Anton, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Pretty often I end up with handles which I didn't like for some reasons. Instead of quietly putting them in a pile I'd like to share some pictures and discuss a bit.

Let me start with 2 handles that I made recently.

First one was made for a 150mm petty. Gidgee and Bog Oak. Unfinished.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Initially I was going to use a pretty simple design with black ferrule and black but. But when I started cutting wood, I changed my mind a decided to make a black spacer instead of black butt. And few minutes later decided to cut ferrule and made yet another spacer. In my head small spacer near ferrule should be balanced with thicker spacer near the end of handle.

But I don't like how it ended up. Something is wrong with it and I can't really formulate what it is. Something is wrong with proportions I guess. I believe that proportions are what differs beautiful handle from ugly. Quality of finish, structure of wood and F&F are all secondary compared to proportions. And for someone who doesn't have artists talent I find finding proper proportions to be the hardest thing in handle making.

I think this handle would be better if black spacer near ferrule would be twice thinner (making ferrule few mm longer). And Gidgee spacer should have been thinner as well I guess. I'm pretty sure it would be better without near-ferrule spacers at all, but I have, what I have.

Ok, here's another one made for 210mm Guyto. Karelian Birch and Walnut spacers. Unfinished.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here I'm not even sure what was done wrong. Again, some proportions aren't right, but I couldn't figure out how it should have been done. Would appreciate your advices here.

Please feel free to post your critique and ideas.

P.S. Special Kudos goes to Mark Farley for a piece of "unobtanium" used in the background :)

2. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

I'm not a fan of spacers and end caps. Keep It Simple for me. There are some exceptions but I'm a user not a collector.
    Also, those handles haven't been paired with the right blade jut yet.

The first one would probably look decent on a 270 kiritsuke and the second on a 300 yanagiba or something.

3. MattS

MattS Founding Member

Yup, I am right there with you John, simplicity, imo, is the key to those woods. They are spectacular pieces that can stand alone with a simple ferrule.

4. cheflarge

cheflarge Founding Member

I don't know...... I kinda like the top one & can see it working on a Ginga 210 petty that I have. The bottom one looks very good & I could see that on a KU 210 suji that I have. For me, I am a user as well, however, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and those are just the visions I had for those two handles. My two cents.

5. Imagine a plain Ho wood handle without ferrules and spacers. Would it be simple? Yes. Would it be beautiful? Not for me.
    I could come up with lots more examples where a little change in pieces proportions would move overall looks from nice to ugly.

While I may agree that a rich textured wood is nice by itself and doesn't need a complex design, but it doesn't mean it would look bad on a complex handle, it just means that it's harder to make a good looking balanced handle with a complex design and rich wooden texture.

6. Mrmnms

Mrmnms Founding Member Gold Contributor

Anton, am I missing something? I really like the birch handle. The walnut spacers work for me.

7. I think it was me who missed something with that handle… The basic design idea with two spacers was successfully implemented by other handle makers many times before. But I guess I've used too thick spacers here. It they were about 1/3 or 1/2 thinner, handle would look better. Also I believe butt part should have been larger (I mean moving spacer towards center a bit).

8. apicius9

apicius9 Founding Member

I don't think there is a right or wrong here, it's all 'like' or 'don't like' as long as the execution is o.k. There were much weirder handles, including many of my own, which still found owners who enjoyed them. The wood is great in them, execution looks great, I would not be too worried. Also, they will look different when you show them next to or on a knife.

That said, I was wondering about the 'unobtanium' ;) Is that a piece of cascara?

Stefan

9. To be honest I don't have any clues about that piece of wood. That's was a birthday present that Mark included into my package, so he may chime in and answer your question.

10. Hmm maybe Ns spacers. and a narrow endcap. idono :D

[​IMG]

11. Those are both beautiful to me Anton. The first might be lacking a bit of differentiation between the spacers (to my aesthetic...black liner material or nickel silver would separate the wood if I did it), but in my eyes the proportions aren't off at all. The second one is perfect as/is. If I were to change anything on that one, it would be to use a very slightly thinner butt spacer, to balance the taper in the handle. But that would only be if I were forced to make a change. Overall I like it a lot.

Aesthetics are a difficult thing lol. I actually made a bunch of photoshop 'templates' for different knives I've made and wa handles, so I can insert any piece of wood in and play with the spacers. Arrangement, type, thickness, metal accents...etc. It's really opened my eyes up to what is and isn't balanced. But again, that's only to my own aesthetic...which doesn't always match that of my customers lol. I wouldn't worry too much about it though my friend...your handles are art work to me, and to me, that's all that matters :p.

12. Everyone likes what THEY like, but as beautiful as both handles are, I personally agree with you that the spacers need to be much thinner, especially if you are putting 2 on a handle. I prefer handles that rich in materials, but are less complex in design. To me it's like cooking, sometimes I try to overthink the recipe making it to complicated instead of going simpler with good technique and quality product.

13. I've refinished few older handle and made new ones.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Can't say I'm super happy with any of them, but some are definitely not bad.

14. daveb

daveb Founding Member

Oh Baby! I would buy a knife to put this one on.

Oh Baby.jpg

15. It still needs a few coatings of oil, but after that I can send it to you (if you want it).

16. XooMG

XooMG Founding Member

[​IMG]

Very simple but really like the lines and style.

17. Nuts63

Nuts63 Founding Member

nice looking handles do you sell them? if so can you p.m. me thanks

18. Thanks for comment! Right now I don't sell any handles.

19. All of these are freaking gorgeous brother!!