1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

How to take care of a “decent” knife

Discussion in 'Sharpening forum' started by Frznrth, Jan 3, 2021.

1. Hi
    I just ordered my first, what I hope is, “decent” knife. An iron clad Gyuto with white #1 carbon.

https://sharpknifeshop.com/products/ittetsu-gyuto-240-mm

All my other knives are cheap western style chef knifes so I could use some education on keeping my new knife in good shape.

I know its reactive and that I’ll need to keep it clean and dry. I heard to oil it - is this always or just until a patina sets in?

Do I strop or use a ceramic honing rod or both?

All I have to sharpen is a 6” Diamond stone with 325/1200 grit. Is this if any use? What do I need? My sharpening skills are limited.

Can I use my bamboo board? My cheap German knives leave marks in it - does this mean it’s soft enough?

Thanks for the help.

2. Because that steel can rust you would oil it to prevent rust. If you use it for 8 hours a day everyday then you just clean it regularly and dry it off. If you oiled it after every use that would be a lot of time wasted. Think about it. Rust can be removed. What you don't do is leave lemon juice on the knife for 6 months in a damp basement with mold.

3. kentos

kentos Founding Member

One of my carbon knives will rust in the process of cutting tomatoes if I’m not careful. Just wipe off the blade after you use it on reactive foods. After cutting red meats it will patina a nice light blue if you don’t wipe it immediately.

Patina is nice but I haven’t ever seen a sushi chef with a patina’d Yanagiba