1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

How to Hold My Knives!!

Discussion in 'CJA Edged Art / Scorpion Forge' started by CrisAnderson27, May 18, 2016.

1. I think I was asked twice in PM messages about that double tapered handle shape and whether I like it or not. Both time I replied that in real life use it works just the same as any other octagonal WA handle. Though I have a really small hands and pinch grip similar to the one that Cris showed on the videos.

Yet this thread was pretty interesting and opened my eyes on the varieties of grips.

2. XooMG

XooMG Founding Member

Nobody ever asked me about it, so I think folks trust you more than they trust me.
    Of course, I'm biased in favor of the handle, so maybe it's just that my opinion isn't so useful.

3. Maybe nobody asked you because it's been quite a while since the last time you posted any pictures of your CA gyuto...

4. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

It was interesting to see the videos and find out I was holding my CA knife correctly. Yay! It's an interesting handle, and I like it quite a bit--and I generally prefer westerns. My husband picked it up and griped about the handle being too short--he's a confirmed hammer gripper (even with wa handles.) He commented on the knife forcing him into a pinch grip. When held as designed, the knife balances just right and is very nimble. I've only experienced one negative about it, and it's because I've got achy old arthritic hands. When you have your middle finger snugged up against the choil, the pad right behind the pointer finger is supported by the blade instead of a nice wide handle, and more load is on the pinching fingers (at least for my hands.) Fine for light duty things--carrots, removing silverskin, etc., but gets uncomfortable for heavier-duty work if you're prone to sore hands. My knife is about 160mm, so a longer knife would probably lessen the load. Not trying to make a negative comment--I enjoy the knife and pull it out regularly--just an observation. (and yes, Cris, I still owe you a positive review!)