1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

How to get Harmon with 1084

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Maximus, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Maximus

Maximus Founding Member

i am ready to heat treat a gyuto out of 1084. Is it possible to get a hamon ? Do I just use the high temp goo I use for w2? What's your advice? Thx

2. Is this Aldo's 1084? It's a bit higher in manganese than preferred, but it will definitely produce a hamon.

3. Maximus

Maximus Founding Member

Yes it is. That's what I thought. Any advice? Using an evenheat kiln. Thx

4. Being eutectoid it's going to heat treat pretty simply. What are you using for a quenchant? And what 'goo' did you use for your W2 lol? Pictures of both would be awesome, just so I can see how your layout was etc.

Honestly, it's going to heat treat a lot like W2 to some extent.

1084ttt.jpg

Tempering Temperature and resultant Rockwell Hardness

°C - °F - HRC

149 - 300 - 65

177 - 350 - 63-64

204 - 400 - 60-61

232 - 450 - 57-58

260 - 500 - 55-56

288 - 550 - 53-54

316 - 600 - 52-53

343 - 650 - 50

^^^^^ is pretty much everything you need to know. Heat to 1450°F-1500°F, let soak about 5 minutes (not necessary with this steel, but I like to make sure everything is in solution), quench into canola oil.

5. Maximus

Maximus Founding Member

Parks 50. I forget the name, but it is furnace sealant, used in Dave lischs w2 class mixed with some oil. It created a great hamon on w2. I have a picture of the actual tube on my phone, not available right now. What do you use. Thx for the info Chris!

6. Rutland's Furnace Cement? Black? I mix mine with water myself. I use either it or Satanite. The Parks should be fine, but might actually harden it a bit too quickly. It could be you need a thicker layer of clay than you did on the W2.

And any time my friend...glad to help!

7. Maximus

Maximus Founding Member

Yes that's it! Thx! I appreciate your help! Eric

8. Any time! Feel free to share pictures, and don't hesitate to ask if you need anything else :)

9. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Awesome Cris. Good luck Eric and I can't wait to see the pics!

10. Jeffery Hunter

Jeffery Hunter Founding Member

This thread speaks volumes of this community and the willingness to seek and share knowledge. Well played gentlemen.

11. cheflarge

cheflarge Founding Member

:like +1 :cool1

12. Spaz

Spaz Founding Member

Would love to see some pics of this!