1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you guys eat vegemite?

Discussion in 'Food and Drink' started by Cheeks1989, Feb 20, 2016.

1. Just easing you in, Jeff :)

Baby steps (most Aussies have been eating Vegemite since before we could walk ... )

Enjoy!!!!!

2. Never had Vegemite but I keep a jar of Marmite in the pantry. Works well in some sauces when I feel like experimenting, almost reminds me of eating straight beef bullion. I've had it on toast and such and don't mind it, I just don't eat a lot of toast hehe. The consistency is odd, like caramel but runnier and stickier...

3. I just drooled.

4. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

Sounds like it could be good added to a tomato sauce. Vegemite pizza!

5. Can't say I'm all that surprised :)

6. Pita bread, Spread Vegemite to 1mm thick, shredded cheddar, bake at 180 C for 10mins. Eat.

My 17 month old's favorite!!

:)

7. schanop

schanop Founding Member

Ah, is that the reason you have been quiet lately? Congrats with the 17 months old :) Good to see you back on forum, though.

My son keeps asking for vegemite, but we (missus and I) have to kindly refuse saying that we don't keep vegemite at home. He's got a taste from daycare.

8. Why would you be so mean Chanop

9. all that salty goodness.

10. schanop

schanop Founding Member

11. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

12. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

OK, the Vegemite got here yesterday.

Opened it up and it makes your brain hurt a little, because it looks like something chocolately that should go on ice cream, but smells yeasty with a hint of fish:

Vegem.jpg

Short on bread in the house right now, so tried a small amount on a roll with some unsalted butter:

Vegemite1.jpg

Not bad at that amount, let's try some more:

Vegemite2.jpg

Probably would go for a bit less than this amount, but it's not bad. Kind of beefy--like bouillon. The taste is quite different than the smell. Almost a little bit of burned flavor at the end, which I didn't care for, but I could see where if you grew up with it, it could be really good. Generally I think I'd just prefer bread & butter with sea salt. I might have to try it again--it could be good in soups & sauces if the burned flavor isn't too strong. I wouldn't recommend eating it by the spoonful, tho!

13. schanop

schanop Founding Member

That sounded like a nice experiment. I have eaten some, but yet to buy a jar although I have been living down here for a long while.

14. MattS

MattS Founding Member

I dont. ....

15. Hands down the most entertaining thing I've read in a while . You guys crack me up.
    On a side note I've got some vegemite drying out spread thin on greedrproof in the hope of making vegemite dust. Lol