1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you guys eat vegemite?

Discussion in 'Food and Drink' started by Cheeks1989, Feb 20, 2016.

1. @Huw what type of cheese pairs well with it?

2. schanop

schanop Founding Member

I bet it is "bega" slices from nearby town :bacon

3. I'm with you Huw. Though that pic looks a little light on

4. Lol:D

5. chefcomesback

chefcomesback Founding Member

We have been living in down under over 5 years , we attempted to have a vegemite on toast once and never tried again . We were told it tastes better with the addition of butter , cheese etc . Maybe I will give another go in 5 years when I feel "adventurous " enough

6. Huw

Huw Founding Member

Here's my breaky this morning, I might have spread on a bit more than usual for dramatic effect, but it was still bloody tasty.
    [​IMG]

Mert, maybe you need to try this?
    [​IMG]

7. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

I think I've seen it at the grocery. I might have to try it. Salty stuff with butter on toast? Sounds good to me!

8. WildBoar

WildBoar Founding Member Contributor

It literally sucks the oxygen out of the air around you. I can't wait to see your written description after you taste it, as your writing is usually pretty entertaining.

9. Lefty

Lefty Founding Member

I'm confused about why people eat it, if it's so bad. What exactly is it?

10. Pure deliciousness. Plain and simple.

I can't really describe the flavour apart from salty being one of them. I think it is one of those things like sour food that kids love but most grow out of it and it just depends on how much you ate it as a kid if you still like it or not.

PS Huw's serving is what i would have if i wasn't really in the mood for it.

11. Lefty

Lefty Founding Member

I need to track some down and give it a go.

12. @Lefty don't do what I did and stick a spoon in it and try it.

13. It's a disgusting and unnatural perversion of Marmite.

14. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

[​IMG]

Mostly Brewer's yeast.

My cats get a supplement that's mostly brewer's yeast, with some fish extract and other fun stuff. It doesn't smell too bad. Will be interesting to see how it compares in odor to vegemite (I ordered some from Amazon today.)

Interesting it's preserved with sulphur dioxide. Isn't that what makes rotten eggs smell?

15. Yes, yes it is. It also means the stuff basically doesn't go off.

16. Rye sourdough, toasted, slather unsalted butter, scrape Vegemite to an even thin smear across the whole surface. Eat. Sip tea.
    Birdy Num Num :)

17. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

Do you store it at room temperature or refrigerate it once it's opened?

18. Lefty

Lefty Founding Member

Alright, I'm going to find some this week, I hope, and let you know how it goes. Yikes....

19. Room temp. It stays spreadable soft, but never melts.

Scrape on, don't spread (unless you are experienced ;)

20. Jeffery Hunter

Jeffery Hunter Founding Member

This scares me a little....