1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

How Do You Get Eggs To Not Stick In Stainless Pan

Discussion in 'Food and Drink' started by James, Aug 24, 2015.

1. Rick

Rick aka Pensacola Tiger Founding Member Gold Contributor

I've been using a nonstick pan for years for omelets, but tried a stainless All-Clad this morning, following the directions in the video. Success! The omelet slid out of the pan better than it did from the nonstick. I'm a believer. Thanks, Lucretia!

2. Stumblinman

Stumblinman Founding Member

Yep that's how I was taught. heat pan then add oil and it's now non-stick. Same way for searing fish. It should slide like an icerink. If you want butter taste but not browning then clarify it.

3. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

I was really surprised at how well the omelet slid out of the pan when I tried it. Now I'm trying to figure out bacon and sausage. I've always started them in a cold pan to render some of the fat. When I do that in the stainless I get a fond, which is great for seasoning the eggs and making gravy, and it cleans up easily, but wondering if there's a better "right" way to do cured pork in stainless than starting with the pan cold. (Sorry to hijack the thread, but you've got to think about bacon and sausage with eggs. Or at least fried green tomatoes.)

4. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

well I still havent got it done in the stainless (but im close) but second time out in the DeBuyer (man does it take heat well... had to figure out its sweet spot) and I nailed it

IMG_20150904_201429.jpg

5. zwiefel

zwiefel Rest in peace brother

Nice! I'm not quite confident enough in the seasoning on my debuyer to try eggs yet.....

6. James

well that's why i went omelette over something like over easy... i got to it at that sweet spot as well where the eggs solidified just enough for me to work the edge and then get under to the centre with my flipper before it really cooked into place... it slide out so fast i over shot the flip out of the pan into the plate (hence the tri fold) lol

7. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

8. schanop

schanop Founding Member

De buyer pans rock :) Nice result, James.

9. Wagner the Wehrwolf

Wagner the Wehrwolf Founding Member

James, start at 14:50. Everything she says applies to stainless also. Always trust in Julia. ;)

10. James

Man I have been making omlettes wrong my whole life if thats how its done.... looks like I have something new to try, thanks for the vid

11. Was just looking at this article from 2008 the other day, seem to be applicable http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/08/dining/08curi.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

tl;dr version: use whole butter when you don't need browing(low temp). For use oil with high smoke point, heat til rippling, tilt pan to smooth out before adding food.

Chinese way: Start with carbon wok. Heat wok just pass smoking, add oil, tilt wok to coat, add eggs and stir. :)