1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

SOLD Hiromoto VC or HC(?)

Discussion in 'Buy/Sell/Trade' started by Dave Martell, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Dave Martell

Dave Martell Professional Craftsman Founding Member

270mm Hiromoto VC or HC (I'm not sure which is the name really)

This is a l-o-n-g discontinued knife model by Hiromoto. I believe it's a tool steel used, called "VC" which would mean virgin carbon? This model was highly thought of and sought after.

The history of this particular knife is that it was originally owned by The HandleMeister Stefan Keller who likely sold it because he was killing all carbon knives he had while in HI. I bought it from him, used it for years, and then it became the knife that I would use to make my very first ever western handle that it still wears today. [​IMG]

The handle is stabilized dyed maple from an unknown source with some sort of plastic black liners with nickel silver corby bolts and a mosaic pin in the center hole. It's a slender somewhat boxey handle that feels OK enough in the hand for me. I'm honestly still pretty impressed with this handle when I consider how little I knew when I made it and it's held up pretty nicely too. Don't expect my current level of craftsmanship from this though, it's not perfect and some metal bits can be felt here and there. I'm not selling this as a professional sale with any warranties or anything like that associated.

The pictures shown were taken years ago (maybe 2009/10?) on the day I finished the handle and I also cleaned the blade then as I recall. Currently the blade is more brown & blue colored with the typical carbon mottled patina one would expect. I'd take pictures now except it's raining out today. If this sits around I'll snap some pics when I can. But don't worry, aside from the patina the knife looks the same.

Oh, and I have the original box too!

Plus, I will sharpen the knife before shipping!

This is truthfully my favorite knife that I own and I'm only selling it today because I need to buy abrasive belts.

Price - $299 + $10 shipping (USA)

International will pay exact costs for Priority Mail

1277493884-P1010027resized.JPG 1277493903-P1010062resized.JPG 1277493912-P1010064resized.JPG

2. Dave Martell

Ok, I took some pictures just now to show how the knife actually looks. You can see that I used this knife a lot. [​IMG]

A few notes...

Length (cutting edge) - 270mm

Height (at heel) - 52mm

Bias - Right Handed - 70/30

Thickness - Thinner than Hiromoto AS but not a laser.

P1010002.JPG P1010003.JPG P1010006.JPG P1010007.JPG P1010010.JPG P1010011.JPG P1010013.JPG P1010015.JPG P1010016.JPG P1010017.JPG P1010020.JPG P1010021.JPG P1010025.JPG

3. Dave Martell

4. Dave Martell

So it looks like I don't have the original box. You get an AS box instead. :D

Thanks for the help on the box ID.

PRICE DROP - $225 + $10 shipping (USA) - You sharpen it yourself though ;)

International will pay exact costs for Priority Mail

5. Dave Martell

6. Dave Martell