1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Haven't done a car speaker install for years....

Discussion in 'The Off Topic Room' started by WarrenB, Jul 11, 2015.

1. So I decided to upgrade the kit in my van, I did a few installs in my late teens through to my late 20's. You know the stuff, amps, speakers, subs, head units:D

No idea if this stuff interests any of you but here it is anyway:)

I went for a more discreet install this time, keeping sound quality high on the list.
    First I removed the head unit and replaced it with a Pioneer Avic-F70DAB unit, nice bit of kit, Sat Nav, Android Auto, Apple CarPlay etc etc.
    The bottom tilts out when you switch it on so it matches the angle of the dash better than in the picture.
    ice6.jpg

Next I removed the door speakers, just single 2 way speakers in each door, not a great sound!
    ice8.jpg
    Added some sound deadening in each door
    ice3.jpg

Then fitted the speaker mounting adapters and wired in the crossover units that came with the speakers.
    ice2.jpg

Then fitted the main 6.5" speakers, I went for a set of Hertz Energy ESK 165.5 components.
    Had to mount them with the logo sideways to stop the connectors on the back fouling on the door, they wont be visible so no issue there
    ice.jpg

Then drilled a hole in each internal mirror cover for the tweeters
    ice4.jpg

Next up I wired in the Rainbow 4 channel amp and tested everything before fixing it in place up under the dash out of sight. Nice compact amp, but great sound and decent power, 90w rms per channel for the door speakers and 250w rms bridged for the subwoofer that is going in soon.
    ice5.jpg

Refitted the door panels after testing it all.
    ice7.jpg

Just waiting for the 10" Hertz shallow mount sub to arrive so I can build a custom box for it under the passenger seat:D
    Already sounding great without the sub so should be really really good when I get it fitted:cool1

Last edited: Jul 11, 2015
  2. MattS

MattS Founding Member

Was thinking about doing this to my car as well...although I have never done it before....

3. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

4. The difficulty level depends on the car and what you are actually swapping/adding.
    Just swapping speakers can be fairly easy, but don't always sound any better running off a head unit, I always have an amp running the speakers so I get the best out of them, but then it gets a little more tricky installing an amp with the wiring from the battery etc.
    Plenty of Youtube videos that show how to take door panels etc of specific cars, well worth doing some research before you get any tools out!:cool1

I am just about comfortable working on my own wagon!:D

5. Looks like Amazon have lost my subwoofer:( it shows as delivered but nothing here, guess the contracted courier fancied a new sub in his van!!
    Refund already processed but will be another few days before I get another one delivered grrrrrrrr.....