1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Handle Material Sale

Discussion in 'JapaneseKnifeSharpening / Dave Martell Knives' started by Dave Martell, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Dave Martell

Dave Martell Professional Craftsman Founding Member

I'm doing some cleaning today, thought I'd sell some of the handle material that I've had sitting around for awhile.

Prices do not include shipping. Will ship via USPS Priority Mail only. Please don't ask for shipping quotes. [​IMG]

If interested please PM me with your Paypal email address with your zip code or country. I'll pack up your order, weigh it, and send you an invoice.

Thanks,
    Dave

$28 - Ironwood 2nd - This is a really dark (almost black) block of Ironwood that has a know right smack in the middle of it. I always pictured this being used for a wa handle with the know showing on both sides.

$35 - Ironwood - This block is thin at 25mm (under 1") but has some great grain swirl that runs equally well throughout. The block has been sanded so it's dull and uncolored at the moment.

$45 - Ironwood Burl - Great metallic flash in this block. One side looks magnificent while the other is not so much. Probably best used for a wa handle.

$15 - Redwood (Natural) - This is some very unique redwood, I've never seen anything like it. There is a small check on one side that I'm sure will seal up and disappear with CA glue. This block is not stabilized.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

$35 - Green Dyed Maple Burl - This one is VERY green. If you like green you'll love this block of maple burl. There's a slight surface crack on one side that's been filled in when it was stabilized.

$35 - 2nd Growth Redwood - This is a pretty nice chunk of redwood. Looks better in person than in the pictures.

$25 - Purple Dyed Figured Maple - You like purple stripes? If so then you found your next project. I suspect that this block will darken up quite a bit when finsihing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lloyd Butch Harner's "Mycarta" - This stuff was made by Butch himself. He used to make it to both use on his knives and sell. I've used a lot of this stuff in the past and can tell you it's solid, tough as nails, handle material. The pictures show the blocks raw sanded, they will get a lot darker when worked through the grits.

$60 - "Starry Night" - That's actually it's name. [​IMG] Blue jeans with white and yellow t-shirts went into this block. There's enough here to do at least 2 handles.

$30 - Maroon, Yellow, & Others - I can't tell you what was used for the materials in this block, just the colors I can see.

$30 - Red 'n Black - A classic Butch offering that was used on many of his projects. Fill in any voids with CA glue and coat with a drying oil. This finishes up dark red - not pinkish at all.

[​IMG]

2. Dream Burls

Dream Burls Founding Member

Ooooh, competition.:fp2

3. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

4. Lefty

Lefty Founding Member

I've been fortunate to use Butch's mycarta a few times, and it is really nice stuff. As Dave said, rock solid and the colours really pop when you finish it with an oil. I fill with CA, sand again, fill again, buff without compound, and finish with either CA, or a nice gunstock oil. Beautiful stuff.

5. Dave Martell

Starry Night Mycarta
    Red n Black Mycarta
    Natural Redwood
    Ironwood Burl

SOLD

6. Dave Martell