1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Gyuto / slicer

Discussion in 'Handiwork Display' started by BathonUk, Jan 30, 2018.

1. BathonUk

BathonUk Founding Member

Hi guys!

This is the first knife out of seven, that I am trying to rescue. Almost two years ago, I have made a mistake of starting 7 knives at the same time. Of course, I have ended up with 7 messed up blades and now I am trying to bring them back to life one by one. This one actually survived as a heat treated blank till December 2017. I have made it for a special occasion which I cannot discuss at the moment. It took me a week to grind it and to make a handle. After that, I hadn't got time to finish it until last weekend. It has to be a 240 gyuto, 5cm tall at the heel, but there was a warp which I didn't notice before and which caused some problem in grinding. I've ended up with 240 slicer, about 40 mm tall (or maybe just a little above that). The handle is probably made of walnut, nickel silver and some random wood ferrule. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to measure it and to record a cutting video because I have finished it on Sunday night and had to post it on Monday to someone who wanted to test it.
    This is also a very first knife with a maker signature. I have etched it with the 9v battery and salted water. Do you like it??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

It's a beauty and the makers mark is classy