1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Gyuto - a new profile - WIP

Discussion in 'Brock Cutlery' started by Mark Brock, Dec 10, 2016.

1. That was probably my post you saw, the concave ones are pressing dies I made for glueing graphite canvas to the platens to make sure it lays down evenly and doesn't have wavyness from the glue.

2. Ah my mistake. Thanks for the explanation. If you don't mind another question, why do you glue canvas to the platen?

3. Instead of the belts tearing up the platen, the canvas will wear out and can be replaced. Also aid's in grinding as it has a softer backing behind the belt and reduces heat and friction between the platen and belt.

Without the canvas the platen gets extremely hot. There is a guy that sells water cooled platens, but I wanted to make something that was simpler.

I learned about the graphite canvas from the guy that taught me how to make knives, retired ABS master smith Kermit Laurant.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. That is a very interesting idea. I have the water cooling jacket, but never hooked it up, I just spray the platen a lot to keep it cool. I like this idea. I might give it a try.
    Thanks again for the info!

5. No problem, I use a coolant mister from NOGA pointed at the blade keep it cool especially when grinding post heat treat, also helps prevent burning my fingers.

6. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

7. Very nice Knife. I am always amazed what can be created with fairly simple tooling.