1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Grinding demo

Discussion in 'Brock Cutlery' started by Mark Brock, Feb 8, 2018.

1. I thought it might be interesting to post a vid of rough grinding a 250 by 54 Gyuto in 52100. This is post-heat treat grinding, so wet and carefully.
    This represents about 90 minutes of grinding a 3.5 mm blank down to rough knife dimensions.
    Next steps will be blade geometry grinding (S Grind) and take it to a pretty finished level for hand sanding.

If this is interesting to you I might create one of these for each step of the knife so you see in about 10 minutes the days of work it takes to create one of these. ?

2. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

3. Thanks Jim. I've never watched myself grind before. It's informative for me. LOL.
    You can even see the belts stretch by watching to top tracking wheel rise every time I change belts. That is interesting.
    I think I went through 5 40 grit belts, but I hate grinding with dull belts. I use them each again for profiling new blades, but man they add up. My poor belt rack is loaded!