1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Great knives for tweaking?

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by XooMG, Apr 6, 2014.

1. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

Not all Sabatiers are created equal... too many companies with licensing rights that bring down the others.

2. XooMG

XooMG Founding Member

I had a less than totally lucid moment and ordered a knife from the maker (Teruyasu Fujiwara). Haven't received it yet, but am hoping it's OK along with the Yamawaku I just ordered.

3. apathetic

apathetic Founding Member

Which version did you get?

4. XooMG

XooMG Founding Member

I'm kinda boring...basic wa nashiji nakiri.

5. apathetic

apathetic Founding Member

Best one to get if you decide you want to tweak it, let us know how it goes. I've been curious about these knives for a while

6. bieniek

bieniek Founding Member

Any with tough metal? Or just tinfoil?

7. John Fout

Harder is not always better. Softer metals have purpose and I reach for a Sab if I know I'm going to not be able to switch knives through out the day. If I know what I'm going to be doing all day I'll use a harder gyuto but when I'm doing a floating shift where I'm bouncing from station to station I'm grabbing the Sab. I can get it workably sharp in no time and keep it that way while not worrying about it. Distal taper lets me do finesse work with even a ten inch blade. The flat part of the blade back to the heel is great for slicing and chopping and the edge comes out fine after chopping herbs. The gyuto's can come out looking a bit toothy on mixed herbs... I'd rather not use them.

8. For obvious reasons, I can't tell you anything about vintage Americans. The old French carbons differ a lot in steel quality, even with the same knife maker or time period. The Sheffields I've seen were made of the best Swedish ore, and a bit harder than French blades made of the same steel. Vintage carbon Germans are highly regarded as well.

9. +1!

10. bieniek

bieniek Founding Member

That is funny, youre saying it takes no time to get is back sharp, I wonder how long it takes then for it to loose the sharpness.
    What about people without honing rods?
    Never had a chance to work in an establishment where chefs have to switch stations multiple times during one service... Cause inconsistencies imho.
    Wouldnt try actually.

11. John Fout

My Sabs hold their edge very well. They see the stones about every other week.

I never mentioned a honing rod...

I have to bounce from station to station in the fourteen hours I'm there a day... During service I go to the station that needs me more. Everything is the same as per recipe and it is the same if you eat at the chain restaurant in Minneapolis, Dubai, Hong Kong, Washington DC or Columbus. Inconsistencies are for people who can't follow directions or troll knife forums.

12. bieniek

bieniek Founding Member

I totally feel ya.

My deepest kept secret is that I actually love Victorinox.
    I once used one without sharpening for some 340 years, and it was still sharp!! Im telling you, its the truth.

I remember chopping some stock bones with it, then fine slicing tuna and at the end chopping herbs and yeah it was very good that the knife lost its initial toothiness by then so it wasnt ripping through the cutting board. We actually called it the chainsaw cause the toothiness was crazy!

So youre basically saying, that every station during your working day is needing your help.
    Im not sure youre familiar with it, but someone once said: "everybody is in the shite in here!!" Hehe not familiar with the concept I must say but maybe one day Im back in the kitchen, must go to 3 stars cause never saw that at the two and single Ive been into!

13. Huw

Huw Founding Member

Was that the one you made kiritsuke tipped? :D

14. bieniek

bieniek Founding Member

Good memory mate!!

I still have it LOL.

15. Good god things got snarky :( often times good roundsmen need to float to ensure good service. It happens to me as well and when I have to float I also use a beater. Sheesh.

16. chinacats

chinacats Founding Member

I think a better question may be, which knives don't need tweaking? I only have one that I feel is good enough for me off the bat--I attribute that only to my lack of skills--a Kochi that I will put my best effort to maintain, but in my eyes the initial geometry is exceptional. Oh, and yes as a nod to Bienek, this would also include my Forschner boner:>)
    Cheers!

17. MattS

MattS Founding Member

Incredibly beefy....really difficult to get the ferrule down to a perfect size with a tang like that.....not much room to mess with.

18. bieniek

bieniek Founding Member

Hard to screw up a boner, if you know what I mean. :k

19. Chuckles

Chuckles Founding Member

I have a Tanaka Ginsanko with a western handle coming. I am hoping that after some tweaking it will feel like a huge bargain.

20. MattS

MattS Founding Member

Greg, those JCK knives are stainless clad, right? I had one when they first came out, but dont recall. The Tojiro itk and Carbo next are all great options as well for tinkering. Although I would go the Fun Ri....over the itk just due to the cladding.