1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Got Beans?

Discussion in 'Food and Drink' started by Toothpick, Apr 6, 2015.

1. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

Leftover Easter ham is going to make ham & beans tomorrow. Soaking!

image.jpg

Oh and plenty left for Thanksgiving and Christmas ham

image.jpg

2. larrybard

larrybard Founding Member

I think I most often buy a ham so I can make soup than for the ham itself (though I sure do also like ham and eggs, etc.). Am currently enjoying recently made split pea soup -- cooked with lots of ham (and of course the bone).

3. Love pinto beans as well! :)
    I usually cook the ham, let it chill, take it out and use the ham stock the other day for spicy bean and veg soup.
    Cured ham is usually so salty that i don't even have to put any in the soup and gives a nice flavour without even putting any actual ham in the soup. (I tend to save the ham for havin' it with boiled eggs, horseradish and homemade bread. :) )

4. I picked up an old Griswold DO that is begging for a pot of beans... may have to listen to it :)

5. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

I have a ham stock on right now from the Easter ham at my nephews house. One of the benefits of being the only family member with a knife that can actually cut something.

6. Toothpick

7. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

Need to put some on soon. Just a little more ham to gnaw off the bone...

8. MattS

MattS Founding Member

Hmmmm, ham....

9. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

10. Toothpick

11. Stumblinman

Stumblinman Founding Member

Hmm never tried pintos looks good. Grew up on red beans and rice though. Same deal just red kidneys. (Camilla) I just remembered I have a hock in the freeze...

12. Just yesterday I cooked a big pot of special Serbian soup called Pasulj. This is bean soup with smoked ham: 1 kg of tetovac beans (similar to cannellini beans), a few onions, few cloves of garlic, some carrots, 1.5 kg of smoked ham, some sweet paprika and few bay leaves. Very simple dish but incredibly delicious.

13. Toothpick