1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Getting a nice crunch on panfried flatfish question

Discussion in 'Food and Drink' started by Jim, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

A buddy gave me some fresh flatfish fillets, any suggestions for getting some crunch on them?
    I have used 1/2 and 1/2 flour and Cornmeal and then egg and Planko but that was pretty overpowering for such thin fillets. Just looking for something different for tonight. Batter? Whacya got?

2. I wouldn't even bother dredging it in anything, just season with S&P. The key is getting the pan screaming hot first, to where it is almost smoking. Then some oil like canola-not olive oil, just enough to lubricate, not a ton-but not too little either. Don't try to put too many filets in at once either.
    Carefully and gently place the filets in the pan-pretty/presentation side down. Sear it until it is a good brown crispiness on one side. A fish spat is nice to have, but if the fish doesn't release from the pan the protein isn't ready yet.
    Only sear on the one side. Drop in some butter, let it melt but not burn and baste those tasty filets. Flip them with your spat onto a paper towel to soak up some of the grease before you plate them.

3. Jim

Sounds good Chris! I had to get started before you posted and I ended up making Fishcakes. Seared up a test one and its going to be OK I think.

4. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

Well my suggestion was going to be crushed corn flakes and batter.
    but I think I have fried ice cream on the brain.

(and I don't cook)

5. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Jim probably too late.

I like the blackened fish. crispy crunchy outside and moist and flakey inside. Makes a lot of smoke so cook outside. I make about a cup or so of spice. equal parts cayane, paprika, thyme, oregano, cumin, onion, garlic salt black pepper and what ever else you desire. dredge fillet in melted butter. Pack the spice into the fish until it won't hold any more. is coated and packed with spice.

Use a cast iron griddle over a monster charcoal fire. I like to let it go till I see flames dancing on the griddle. The whole evolution is characterized by delicate handling to keep as much spice on the fish as possible. Put the fish on and watch it sizzle and smoke and spew steam. just a minute or so on each side for 3/4 inch fillets. Spices should be charred, meat is moist and flakey. The original recipe calls for it to be consumed with ice cold beer. Some of the best fish I've ever had was prepared this way.

6. apathetic

apathetic Founding Member

Out of curiosity, why shouldn't you use Olive Oil?

7. The smoke point of olive oil is way lower than that of canola. You'll end up with less than ideal results with something like EVOO.

8. I agree with Chris that thin flatfish are best just seasoned.

Though it may sound odd, for thicker cuts another alternate to batter or panko is dried potato flakes. Gets very crispy without needing a batter.

9. Wagner the Wehrwolf

Wagner the Wehrwolf Founding Member

I blame Rachel Ray for this, though she wasn't the first to champion frying in olive oil. It's stupid and a waste of money. I think there was even a Cal-Davis study that showed that all of the nutritional benefits of olive oil are destroyed by high temperature (I'll have to look and see if I can find it). Like Chris said, fry with a high smoke point oil (I like safflower) and if desired FINISH with a good quality olive oil.

10. apathetic

apathetic Founding Member

Thanks! I thought that refined olive oil would still be alright. I never use EVOO for frying as it's too much of a waste.

11. zwiefel

zwiefel Rest in peace brother

Refines OO does have higher smoke point than EVOO...but I'm unsure how that compares to Canola/safflower/avocado/etc.

12. Jeffery Hunter

Jeffery Hunter Founding Member

I try and keep Ghee (clarified butter) around for stuff like this as well high smoke point less saturated fat

13. The following table presents smoke points of various fats:

Fat Quality Smoke Point
    Almond oil 216°C[citation needed] 420°F
    Avocado oil Un-Refined, Virgin 190-204°C[citation needed] 375-400°F
    Avocado oil Refined 271°C[citation needed] 520°F
    Butter 121–149°C[citation needed] 250–300°F
    Canola oil(Rapeseed) Expeller Press 190-232°C 375-450°F[5]
    Canola oil High Oleic 246°C[citation needed] 475°F
    Canola oil Refined 204°C[1] 400°F
    Castor oil Refined 200°C[6] 392°F
    Coconut oil Virgin (Unrefined) 177°C 350°F[7]
    Coconut oil Refined with stabilizers 232°C[citation needed] 450°F
    Corn oil Unrefined 178°C[6] 352°F
    Corn oil Refined 232°C[1] 450°F
    Cottonseed oil 216°C[1] 420°F
    Flax seed oil Unrefined 107°C[citation needed] 225°F
    Ghee (Indian Clarified Butter) 252°C[citation needed] 485°F
    Grapeseed oil 216°C[citation needed] 420°F
    Hazelnut oil 221°C[citation needed] 430°F
    Hemp oil 165°C[citation needed] 330°F
    Lard 192°C[citation needed] 390°F
    Macadamia oil 210°C[citation needed] 413°F
    Mustard oil 254°C[citation needed] 489°F
    Olive oil Extra virgin 191°C[citation needed] 375°F
    Olive oil Virgin 199°C[6] 391°F
    Olive oil Pomace 238°C[1] 460°F
    Olive oil Extra light 242°C[1] 468°F
    Olive oil, high quality (low acidity) Extra virgin 207°C[citation needed] 405°F
    Palm oil Difractionated 235°C[8] 455°F
    Peanut oil Unrefined 160°C[citation needed] 320°F
    Peanut oil Refined 232°C[1] 450°F
    Rice bran oil 254°C[citation needed] 490°F
    Safflower oil Unrefined 107°C[citation needed] 225°F
    Safflower oil Semirefined 160°C[citation needed] 320°F
    Safflower oil Refined 266°C[1] 510°F
    Sesame oil Unrefined 177°C[citation needed] 350°F
    Sesame oil Semirefined 232°C[citation needed] 450°F
    Soybean oil Unrefined 160°C[citation needed] 320°F
    Soybean oil Semirefined 177°C[citation needed] 350°F
    Soybean oil Refined 238°C[1] 460°F
    Sunflower oil Unrefined 107°C[citation needed] 225°F
    Sunflower oil Semirefined 232°C[citation needed] 450°F
    Sunflower oil Refined 227°C[1] 440°F
    Sunflower oil, high oleic Unrefined 160°C[citation needed] 320°F
    Tallow (Beef) 215°C[citation needed] 420°F
    Tea seed oil 252°C[citation needed] 485°F
    Vegetable shortening 182°C[citation needed] 360°F
    Walnut oil Unrefined 160°C[citation needed] 320°F
    Walnut oil Semirefined 204°C[citation needed] 400°F

I copied this from wikipedia. Yes, we used a Olive/Veg oil blend at the restaurant to sear, and most of the less-rich OO's are ok to sear with, but it's wasted money and product.

14. Wagner the Wehrwolf

Wagner the Wehrwolf Founding Member

15. Jim

16. Andre

Andre Founding Member

My all purpose fish dredge is 60/40 yellow corn meal/wondraflour with corn starch added as the spirit moves me. If you're feeling like a baller you can use some nice corn flour in place of the meal, adjusting the ratio to more like 75/25 or 80/20. John Martin Taylor sells a really good one. He also sells damn fine grits, and is a piece of work.

17. Jay

Jay No soup for you Founding Member

Hey, those don't look like fish filets, they look like fish cakes made with a 2 oz scoop and rolled into a ball.

18. apicius9

apicius9 Founding Member

Every decent Spanish housewife I ever met has gallon bottle of highly refined 'light' olive oil for frying and a small bottle of good Spanish EVOO to add a little bit for flavor at the last minute. :)

That said, I always think of flat fish fillets as more on the delicate side that get easily overpowered by too much heat or spice, but that may just be me. Blackened fish can be great, but I prefer it on a little thicker piece. So, no crispy flat fish for me ;) Chris' suggestion is as far as I would go. I also like them filled with something, rolled up, and steamed - as long as there is a beurre blanc or something coming with it.

Stefan