1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Geos handles :)

Discussion in 'Handiwork Display' started by Geo87, May 13, 2015.

1. Well I've been playing around making handles for some time now, mostly for my own knives and for friends.
    Please fire away with any criticisms or comments both negative and postive!
    In most of these photos i'm still figuring it out as I go, so there are a few that have some flaws for sure. I'm working on improving my methods and techniques. Its a process :)
    My setup is very minimal and most of the tools are dirt cheap ( drill press, grinder / belt sander, rotary tool, hand tools. ) so sometimes I struggle without better equipment.

My first and only octagonal handle, Really a lot harder to get nice results than I thought!
    Kono HD2 Octagonal: Red mallee burl, Ebony, Red & white fiber spacers
    DSC_0491 - Copy.JPG
    pretty happy with this handle other than a few visible glue lines.
    DSC_0494 - Copy.JPG

Misono swedish suji: birds eye tasmanian myrtle burl, navy spacers, stainless pins.

DSC_0510.JPG
    Pretty happy with this one again but a few issues. Some light scratches on the tang I didnt polish out right, third pin has visible glue line.
    DSC_0508.JPG

Tojiro DP: red mallee burl, black spacer, stainless pins
    DSC_0528.JPG
    Well this one is pretty good I think except for the finish, Way too shiny! since these handles I've moved on to a more natural matt finish with just tung oil + high grit sanding & buffing. Im getting a little better at polishing the tang but still a few scratches here and there. Sure is hard to keep the tang perfect.
    DSC_0532.JPG
    This is my most ambitious project so far and it turned out way busier than I intended. Originally the handle wasnt supposed to have a second spacer and endcap but I made the handle too short! I really wanted to finish the knife so I glued an endcap on (which was too big in hindsight) and i have no idea why i put the second spacer there. The shape of the handle is good ( my first D style meiji) but way too busy, too much going on. It was fun to reshape the tang and choil though, reground the whole knife as well. this is in the daily work rotation.

Forgecraft Wa conversion D style meiji : mango, australian snakewood ferrule + endcap, stag horn spacers, Black fiber spacers. (what a mouth full :p)
    DSC_0581.JPG

DSC_0585.JPG

Thats all for now, I've got plenty more pics ill post later :)

2. Bill T

Bill T Founding Member

I think that they look good. And don't sweat your equipment. Most of us don't have much more, some even less...
    The only suggestion I would give is to not use the normal spacer material. .ie. vulcanized rubber.
    They tend to absorb moisture over time and cause problems. A better choice is thin g10 as it doesn't absorb anything.

3. chefcomesback

chefcomesback Founding Member

I remember that forgie :) I like westerns a lot , don't know how I missed them , the kono handle is very clean too .
    You should see my shed :p

4. I agree with Bill T...those are great looking handles. I also agree that your equipment isn't really out of line for what you're wanting to do. I have the exact same tooling that you do lol, and not a stitch more. The best thing you can do for wa handles is make sure your platen is flat, and take your time getting the bevels cut. Give yourself some scribe lines, and it's hard to mess them up.

Also...I have to say, you're further ahead than I am...as I've still never done a full tang handle lol :D.

5. Thanks bill I've heard that about the spacers before perhaps it's time I started listening ! I'll order some g10.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions guys. I agree I have the right type of tools but the quality is what makes it hard. Here is a photo to show what I mean.

The handle is to give you an idea of how tiny that belt is. It's off a 240 masamoto ks gyuto. This is a 50$AU tool
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431565972.951266.jpg

The belt isn't very powerful so it's slow going and the supported part of the belt is smaller than a standard block of wood. It's also fixed at that 45 degree angle.
    I feel life would be easier with a bigger more powerful belt that is flat. I'll upgrade it one day :)

6. I made my first handle on a 3x21 hand held belt sander clamped in a vise lol...I feel your pain my friend!

7. chefcomesback

chefcomesback Founding Member

Geoff measure your flat platen , I may have an extra glass ceramic that you can glue on , it doesn't dish as fast as steel and doesn't heat up as much

8. Great work Geoff! Man, I've never seen a belt sander like that-that attaches to a bench grinder. I wish I would've known about those a long time ago!

9. scotchef38

scotchef38 Founding Member

I think they all look good,I have a forgecraft waiting to receive the same treatment , just need the time.