1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Funayuki / Nakiri / Santoku

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by shownomarci, Dec 15, 2014.

1. I am not really in need of a new knife, but... :D
    I saw a Murata (Buho) Funayuki (165mm) on one of the UK vendors site for 60-65 quid and i started thinkin'...
    Might have a use for a knife what is somewhere between the petty and the gyuto and sharpens up easier, hold its edge better and more versatile than a Tojiro DP Nakiri. (VG-10 vs Aogami #1, no tip vs "mini gyuto" shape)
    Even if it's not as useful as one would think it still looks like a fun knife to use.
    There is also a Nakiri and a Santoku (same maker, same steel, same size, same price) to make the decision worse.
    The other thing is that an other vendor has got Eden Kanso aogami #2 santoku (180mm) for pretty much the same price. Its size is quite close to a gyuto so kinda loses the point of being a smallish / compact knife.
    Shall i go for the Funayuki or a knife inbetween the petty and a gyuto doesn't serve much purpose?
    Any opinion is appreciated.
    Thanks!

2. Brad Gibson

Brad Gibson Founding Member

save up and buy a shig!

3. Smaller knives have a short contact area with the board, will rapidly dull and get sharpened often. They wear fast. Short fun, short life. Keep the money in your pocket.

4. Chuckles

Chuckles Founding Member

I love knives that size. They are great for small projects so you don't have to use and clean a large cutting board.

5. cheflarge

cheflarge Founding Member

Always keep knives, in that size range, in my work rotation for small quick jobs, as well as, what Chuckles mentioned above. In fact, the pic in my avatar is of 120mm ajikiri.

6. Well, i always use 30*45cm boards, that's what i am comfortable with so it's not an issue.
    It just feels a bit awkward sometimes to cut small sized fruit or veg with a 240mm gyuto.
    The main thing i was going to use it for is home cooking anyway, so will not become dull quickly. That is why i wanted something (reasonably) cheap and cheerful. (No need for high end stuff.)
    I know i could use my nakiri or petty, but they are not quite the same. :)
    Still under consideration but thank you for all the comments.

7. [​IMG] three beauty